My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I can see the YouTube tractor videos on a 50 inch screen! And the family can view photos like the old days with a projector instead of peering over my shoulder.:thThumbsU

The tv and the laptop have HDMI ports. Got a cheap 15 foot HDMI cable, $4.50 from Amazon, don't spend more for Monster ($70 for 6 ft) :Stop:eek:r at Wally World ($20 for 6 ft), it will not make a bit of difference in quality

The TV is a plasma 1250 x 720, not 1080 LCD, but it is clear enough for our family room. Each time I change the laptop screen rez from 1600x800 to 1250x720 to match the TV, a small effort for the quality.

Sometimes, technology works:fing32:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Nice job! I use Microsoft's Media Center to watch live HDTV, record HDTV shows, watch downloaded avi movies, stream sports via Internet, etc. I highly recommend it! I actually keep my computer in the basement & use a D-link Media Center Extender ($100) to hook up to my 60" TV.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Nice isn't it?

I run a home theater PC (HTPC) in the living room it's an Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.66Ghz with 4 Gig of ram and a 1 Gig Nvidia GeForce 9600GSO I run digital optical out of the PC and a DVI out (my TV takes, HDMI, DVI or VGA). The TV is a 67" Samsung LED, DLP and I run 1080P 24FS and I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo. It makes surfing the net so nice, watching you tube, or watching/recording movies off the net etc.

The media center extender is a really cool way to do it if you don't want a PC out there in the living room. My TV stand had an open slot so I picked the right case that made the PC look like another audio component (Complete with it's own Vacuum Fluorescent Display).

Here's a photo of the PC

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
Brett, your AV setup looks like pretty serious stuff. When I built my house, I put Cat 5e jacks, coax, and power receptacles on the wall behind where I wanted to hang TVs. I found a media center extender that I was able to tuck in behind the TV in the family room which lets me view pictures on the TV from my wireless N connected laptop. It is a clean installation and it gets the job done.

·
6,553 Posts
Fox,

Media extenders are nice, and some new TV's even have that functionality built right in. My house isn't wired for LAN and I can't get a a Cat5 out to the living room (wish I could!) so instead I have a Linksys USB wiFi dongle in the back of the workstation, it works.. Not ideal!

If I was building a house today, all rooms would have Cat5e runs... And distributed Audio/Video runs, you can actually buy bulk cable that contains Cat5e,Audio,Video all in one cable pull.

That workstation is a pretty robust machine it games pretty well and it's fairly quiet (large, slow fans) but it's by no means a high end machine :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Brett don't lie.... you know good and well you'd run fiber!

·
6,553 Posts
*guilty*

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts