My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My deck has a few rust holes in it (around the size of a quarter). I have zero welding ability to weld patches over them ( tried already and failed miserably).

So as a result of my lack of welding skills I plan on trying to patch them with fiberglass. Plan is to grind out any rust to get a clean surface to glass to.

My question is if I should try to glass to the bare metal, or if I should primer/paint the metal first, then glass to that. Followed by the finishing coat over top the whole thing?

·
Banned
2 Posts
My deck has a few rust holes in it (around the size of a quarter). I have zero welding ability to weld patches over them ( tried already and failed miserably).

So as a result of my lack of welding skills I plan on trying to patch them with fiberglass. Plan is to grind out any rust to get a clean surface to glass to.

My question is if I should try to glass to the bare metal, or if I should primer/paint the metal first, then glass to that. Followed by the finishing coat over top the whole thing?

i have seen it done not sure how long it will last tho .I haven't done it myself ..I have seen people use screen to help it stay and stick a little better i wouldn't prime it before you fiber glass it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have seen it done not sure how long it will last tho .I haven't done it myself ..I have seen people use screen to help it stay and stick a little better i wouldn't prime it before you fiber glass it
I figure that as long as it bonds well the the metal, it should last longer then the deck itself. I also have some duraglass (basically like a bondo but filled with fiberglass strands to make a stronger buildup). I might form the hole with a small piece of screen then pack it full of duraglass, then run some fiberglass cloth over top of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts