My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I used to feel like I got robbed, or robbed myself when paying $200 or $250 for an old L Model and never even trying to start it because after I got it home I would be like " Man I dont feel like messin with this thing, plus it looks so awfull Id be forever just getting it looking decent but now I got some spare parts", and is that ever true.
Felt good about it again today because Im taking apart and cleaning up a hanging-up shipper shaft and actuator or whatever all the parts are called ( remote on-off blade control ) so I was killin some time while raining and went to Richards website and just for the switch ( actuator in-out ) a guy could spend $250 if he were to get the stuff new or just some of it, and thats what I paid for my most expensive what I call parts tractor for one little part!
Now having said that many of you on here could get my "parts tractors" running in a day but I cant for more than one reason like health, time, funds and mostly knowledge lol!
And the price of a fuel tank alone is what I paid for one of them so Im more than happy I have them no matter what I paid for them.
Am I just trying to make myself feel a little better for spending the money on them? Well maybe but looking around at some prices certainly helps a lot thats for sure.
And the switch Im messin with now well I have 2 more spare ones if and when I need them. And Im glad.
Oh yea theres my 12 week old helper to.

Attachments

Lookin' good Brother. 馃嵒

Sooner or later being a pack rat pays off, at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Premium Member
I agree, if you can spare the space and the machines are from the same era.

I cracked a shipper shaft guide in the course of converting to remote PTO and had to replace it. Stunned how much it cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I used to have GMT 9000's..... Finding parts for those guys was quite fun..... especially those parts that were ONLY used on the 9000 series tractors... I had no problem spending a grand or so on a parts tractor...... and in the various repairs I had to do to keep one running reliably, I do believe (or, am trying to convince myself.....) that I would have spent more on buying parts, than I did buying complete, non-running tractors...... Between tires, clutches, steering parts, etc..... I would have spent a LOT of money....... And when I sold it all off, in one fell swoop, when including the 5 or 6 years of service I got out of the tractor, and the time saved mowing with it, I don't look at it as "I lost money on those"....... My time is worth quite a bit to me. :) So, all in all, I think I did ok there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
I seldom feel I got beat on something because Im old enuf to know that if I find a 1964 Lincoln that looks new for $ 500 bucks the next day I'll see one for $ 200 lol! That will never change, and if I want something and I have the money in my pocket for it Im gonna buy it and live off bologna for the next week but I got what I wanted so Im happy about it.
Im not about to loose something I like and want for a cpl bucks, not me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, if you can spare the space and the machines are from the same era.

I cracked a shipper shaft guide in the course of converting to remote PTO and had to replace it. Stunned how much it cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
You aint kidding, Im messin with one right now and Im very glad I have a cpl spares. No spare rods but spare lever, body and shaft and all the other goodies that have way to many names lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts