My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 mowers that I am parting out...or if someone wants them whole, that's fine too. All three have been sitting for over a year and had problems when they were parked. I don't have time to get them going. They are:

1991 Toro Recycler 20107...Suzuki GTS 150 4-stroke. BBC, 3-speed. Ran, but had a bent crank.

1996 Toro Recycler 20475...Suzuki GTS 150 4-stroke. BBC, 3-speed. Straight crank, never tried to Start it.

1990 Lawn Boy M21BMRA...BBC, Tuff-Torq trans, Lots of good parts, never tried to start it.

If anyone wants parts from any of these, just ask. If you want the entire mower, that would be better. PM me if interested and we'll talk. Possible trades?

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GTP requested some better pictures of the Toros where they weren't covered in leaves, so I took my little Stihl blower and cleaned them off (and had fun doin so, because I love that blower:fing32:). You can see a little more detail now. The 1991 (Recycler) is 5.5hp, has a chrome handle and muffler guard, and the 1996 (Super Recycler) is 6.0hp and has black trim. The '91 also has wheels from a Troy-Bilt that don't work well, but are on there just so it rolls. I have all the parts that are missing from the '91 in the pictures. Not sure if I have the belt cover for the '96. Any questions, just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 more!

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that THIS was the engine designed by Suzuki, and built by Briggs specifically for Toro. Maybe I had my engines mixed up. They look very similar in design and shape to an old Suzuki 2-stroke. Cast into the block is the "TORO" logo, and there are a few B&S logos here and there (air filter, etc.) I appologize if I was misleading to anyone, but I really do not deal in any 4-cycle engines and don't pay much attention to them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I now see the difference in the look of the engine. I still recall reading somewhere about the engine being some sort of Suzuki designed, Briggs built group effort, but maybe I made it up in my dreams or something. Who knows?:dunno:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I own one of these toro's and for awhile i thought it was a suzuki myself, but it is actually a briggs. Although that being said, they are not bad engines...

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I have one and its indeed a Briggs but mine also says its made in Japan so perhaps Suzuki was making them for Briggs? Hard to tell for sure...Mine keeps blowing out the oil pump "O" ring on the underside of the engine. I'm gonna ditch it because I'm tired of taking the bbc and all apart to replace the o ring to stop the tremendous oil leak it gets when it blows out......Don't ask me why it keeps blowing out.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have one and its indeed a Briggs but mine also says its made in Japan so perhaps Suzuki was making them for Briggs? Hard to tell for sure...Mine keeps blowing out the oil pump "O" ring on the underside of the engine. I'm gonna ditch it because I'm tired of taking the bbc and all apart to replace the o ring to stop the tremendous oil leak it gets when it blows out......Don't ask me why it keeps blowing out.
Indy did you try locktite red on the outside of the seal?

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I would try running a nice bead of red rtv around a clean o-ring and mating surfaces and reassembly. Has decent resistance to pressure and high resistance to oils as well.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would try running a nice bead of red rtv around a clean o-ring and mating surfaces and reassembly. Has decent resistance to pressure and high resistance to oils as well.
or that.....:ditto:

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are talking about the 2-cycle 96700 series those were indeed made in Japan for B&S by Komatsu-Zenoah. Otherwise, the only Japanese Briggs engine I know is the Vanguard OHV model series 104700, made by Mitsubishi under license.

Is it true that the B&S "Europa" 97700 series OHV engine was made in Japan? I'd like to think not.

~Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts