My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The Murray 46" Tractor I purchased this summer has all the bugs worked out and has proved dependable. So, I've been trying to sell my Huskee (Murray) tractor locally and have not had any interest. So, I'm thinking about parting it out and would like opinions on this strategy. 40" Deck

I'm surprised as I think the asking price was reasonable and it is in overall good shape with a newer B&S 15.5HP engine replaced afyer the original 12.5HP blew. But, it is not the best looking tractor to hit the turf... The hood hinges failed and after several attempts to fix them I just chucked the hood.

All advice/suggestions from the board is appreciated.

mit678

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Now you went and done it......You asked for advice! You're gonna get it now!

First -:wwp:

I work on and refurbish riders and do alright usually with getting them sold.

My only avenue to selling them is using Craigslist. I have found from experience, that if I have done a lot of work to the rider, such as you did and replaced the engine with another good one, that is reported in the ad and I make it a positive, and I do not reduce my price because of it. If anything it should increase value. They know they won't have to worry about a bad engine. The more work you describe you did, the more the ad should be appealing to the reader of the ad. Things like new battery, new solenoid, new sparl plug, just rebuilt carburetor, are all things that tell a prospective buyer, "I don't have to worry about those issues", all are items they tick off mentally as positives.

Next and most necessary is cleaning and polishing the rider up. Pressure wash it, preferably..... Shine it with a wax, and don't forget to shine the tires, with tire black or some other product.

Then lastly, Take good photo's and preferably 2 from different front angles and 1 from the rear and always show the engine. If possible, have the photo's with the headlights turned on, so they know the lights are working.

Photo's should be taken in good sunlight conditions, and no blurry shots. You are trying to sell it. If you take a photo that is making them turn there computer on it's side to view the photo, then make sure to orient the photo correctly.

These are just some common items I always try to do to make my riders look tip top, and get the tip top price.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've had decent luck as well, I'd say no hood is making many people skim right by. I'm not sure on your area, but the season is over for buying riders in winter areas. I sold at least three riders in the summer that sold the same weekend I posted them. My last sale took 2 weeks with less interest than the others and it was at the end of August. I'm blaming it on the season. In the summer the people that were buying my riders all said they had to cut their grass now.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Whoa! You chucked the hood, or its just not usable and won't mount because the hinges are messed up. Yea, if the rider ain't pretty, you are either, not going to sell it for what you want to get out of it, or not at all.

To sell something used, you HAVE to make it look like it is NEW! You have to give people the feeling they are getting their money's worth, or they won't bother. It will be a rare person who will buy, because it better be a good cheap deal without the hood there to make them proud of owning it.

They want to be proud of their purchase. "Look what a deal I got, and I'll find me a hood for it", or, "Look how beautiful this thing is, and it has a bunch of stuff replaced on it, so it is like new". That is the vein of what the general opinion of your rider would be or have to be, in order to sell it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Good advice/tips in all.

I wanted to sell it prior to winter setting in here in New England. I do not have the room for it as it is, but have also been looking at Wheel Horse tractors - it's a Sickness I tell ya!

Yes, I dumped the hood after making several attempts to fix the plastic hinges. Even tried 2-Part Epoxy but through vibration kept breaking. I did this prior to knowing the pentup demand for it. After reading posts on this site and learning about Murray' parts non-availability/expense for the older modes, I think i'll have better luck parting it out. I was asking 275 which I thought was reasonable, I'm not sure of hwhat a good used engine goes for now-a-days but think it would be around there somewhere.

I tried to post pics early this morning without luck and wiped out my message to boot. So hopefully it'll make it this time.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
While replying to a thread, scroll down to "Manage Attachments". There you will have the option to upload 4 photos from your computer.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Too bad on the hood.......Never throw away a part of a rider until the whole rider is done for, but you know this now.

First I'm not too clear if your engine is a single or a twin....

Engine $ values can be as high as what the market will bear..... A good higher than 16hp twin will fetch about $250 guaranteed good to run around my area. I have gotten them cheaper, but will pay the higher $250 for a twin if I have a need for one, and I don't have a lot of $ tied up in a rider. The point of it for me, is simply do I need it that bad.

Most of my engines I have gotten them for less, more like half of that, but that is just from watching C'list and every now and then one will pop up and be a reasonable price. I've bought 16-17hp singles for $50-$75, fairly often. 12-15hp singles typically are anywhere from the $50-$75 to a little more than $125 for a guaranteed runner.

What I'm saying you might get the $275 for the engine if you leave it on the rider frame and let them buy the whole thing. But just remember, the price needs to be where they can see it running before anyone will pay that for one. As to selling the rest, IMHO, it'd have to be a a stretched out deal. You might just try for the rider as parts and the engine for sale as the main feature and let them haul the frame and all away. But be prepared to move down a little, to more like the $200-$225 range.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wow, I got my twin I put in one of the riders for $80. I see them up for sale for over $200 but I think they sit. You will not make much parting out a murray, the engine is really your only part that someone will really want.

There's not many Murray enthusiasts, lots of murrays end up in a dark place, not rebuilt.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I think I'd just get out from under it and be done with it. As jpdocdave mentioned, there's just not much of a market there for Murrays, outside of the engine. And if you should sell the engine, you'll be sitting on the rest of it for quite some time or use it for landfill.

Being minus the hood, your asking price will take a hit. Maybe you could find a hood for cheap. Even those "funny looking" green/yellow tractors without a hood, don't sell all that well unless the price is low enough

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts