My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parking brake mechanism - spring loaded lever against the brake band - is the *only* thing that sux on this tractor. It just doesn't hold - ie lever jumps easily to unbraked position.

a) What am I missing? or

b) Is there a good 'standard' mod to make the brake stay on?

TIA for any guidance on this..

I cannot get a good picture where this is located screws the focus on my camera. This might be clear enough to show the lever I am talking about...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Have you followed the instructions for adjusting the brake in the manual? Had to study the illustrations in the parts list to see how that works. Still can't tell what the business end of the lever contacts. Perhaps it is worn or the piece it lands on is worn and needs to be filed back into shape? Both manuals can be downloaded from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/
They are named "Tractor 1973 8, 10, 12, 14hp 4 & 8-speed OM #A-5324" and
"Tractor 1973 8, 10, 12, 14hp 8-speed IPL #A-5343.pdf"

Garry

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thanku: I had one of those manuals but not the one with the photo that shows how the lever engages on the square plate at the end of the brake band.

That was just what I needed...then combination of adjusting band and brake rod from pedal to get it all to engage right.

I don't have many slopes, but all that I do have, end at the pond so your link has doubtless saved me some inevitable heartbreak :trink40:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts