My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I'm a new member to mtf.I have looked a few times,but now i picked up a case 446 with the onan 16.I really like this little tractor and would like to keep it running without having to repower.any advice would be welcome and appreciated.as per recomendation from a small engine mechanic,i just changed the oil.i used sae 30 and added 4oz stp.is this advisable?thanks in advance for your help

rich

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Rich, nice to have you aboard here with us and enjoy the forums, the guys in the know on these machines should be along to help with your questions :fing32:.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
30w is the recommended ENGINE oil, 40w when it`s hot, 50w when it`s really HOT (90+)
The added STP ( 200w IIRC) is just adding viscosity which certainly can`t hurt with this years temps. Factor in a medium to high hour engine and I`d say you received decent advice

Hyd system requires 15w-40 MOTOR OIL

Welcome and enjoy your new ride

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well its too late,I already love this animal.My brother just bought a newer one,but his has a busted rod.I'm hearing that the onan engine is known for this.are there any tricks to keep this from happening to mine.Would a kohler magnum 20 hp be considered a decent replacement for the onan?
Thank you to all of you that replied.

Rich

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Conventional wisdom holds that rod failure is due to owners failing to decarbonize the combustion chamber. Recommended by ONAN every 200 (?) hrs

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Yes...... that and also failing to keep the level of oil in the pan to where it should be on the dipstick. Oil level is crucial in small engines because the pans are small. There is no margin for error like there is on cars and trucks that can be down over a quart and it's not a big deal. It only takes a minute to pull the dipstick and check the oil BEFORE you begin using the tractor. If it's not at the "FULL" mark, then top it up.

A quart of oil costs $4.00 vs $1000.00 to rebuild the engine.

A pair of head gaskets cost less than $25.00 vs $1000.00 to rebuild the engine.

Anyone who tells you that the days of having to de-carbonize Onan and Kohler engines is over better be willing to pay for your engine rebuild when a rod snaps and put that agreement into writing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all for the tips,this weekend it looks like i'll be doing some decarbonizing.It seems like a small price to pay to keep the case reliable.I do have another question though.When I engeag the pto,it appears that the belt rides against the engagement fork on the pto,and will disengage at higher rpms.Is this an adjustment issue,or is this a real problem?thanks again for the replies.

rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts