My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been looking for a reasonably priced pto powered wood chipper to run behind my white 2-35 field boss. I found a papac chipper locally for $600. It's rusty and missing the corn attachments but owner says it works. Everything I have found online shows the papac is from the 50's and were used for corn. Can these be used for wood chipping also or are they really too light duty for that? Owner says he used it to cut up 3-4 inch diameter trees clearing fence line. I need to clear a ton of small trees for a pasture. I'm hoping this would work. I appreciate your input in advance. Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Depends upon what you consider small trees. Corn choppers where not designed to cut down trees. I don't see where they would have a problem with sapling be anything that has been allowed to develop into a harder wood maybe a problem for the head cutters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice! I plan to chip green trees between 3-6 inches in diameter. It sounds like it would not have been able to handle what I was going to use it for. I ended up finding a very reasonable privately owned whisper chipper (chuck and duck) instead.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That corn chopper won't chip 3-6" branches, logs, etc. or anything close to it. Buy a good tow behind or 3pt chipper and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You might want to get a bigger tractor if you want to chip and something with a hydraulic feed. We ended up buying a tow behind from Home Depot and that was a mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts