My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quick pic through a window of papa bluebird feeding the younguns this afternoon. Pretty cool that the pair were successful!

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
Very nice! Glad to see the family is doing well.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
They are neat birds. We have three BB houses attached to our deck rails and two are ocupied. The one house is now occupied by the second family this year.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nice pic. He looks like he has been overworked a bit lately.

How many hatchlings?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Nice Pics! Had 2 pair earlier this year and the darn sparrows run them off. Only forgot to watch for sparrows 2-3 nights and then the Bluebirds were gone!:crybaby:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice pic. He looks like he has been overworked a bit lately.

How many hatchlings?
I haven't actually looked inside to count. Just noticed this week that both mom and pop have been leaving the nest and returning... many times... then perching on the outside and sticking their heads in to feed the babies. Not sure how much I'd disturb the family by taking a peak inside.

The birdhouse is standard one from wally world... but modified with a tractor flange after woodpeckers elongated the access hole. After I put the metal flange in place, the bluebirds had a tough time getting a grip to get inside, so I installed the long perch outside. That works great! I've seen the male bluebird come out onto the perch, then shove himself off vigorously in order to get best flying speed quickly! :thThumbsU

Here's the tractor flange mount:

Inside view:

And the actual tractor part used:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Isn't it funny the things we'll do to just sit & watch a few birds:trink40:

Wife
The backdoor fell off the hinge

Me
Can't you see i'm trying to hang a bird feeder

:thThumbsU