My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys prefer to paint your old equip? (talking L's and attachments here)

Do you go with off the shelf spray cans as its easy to touch up later?

Do you go with custom mix in spray cans?

do you paint with a real spray gun (having a mixed quart of paint and reducer to thin etc)

Do you tackle small jobs (like repainting a couple of split rims) with just a spray can, and leave larger jobs to the spray gun?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
This really depends on the man, and his tools.

I get everything ready....primed and then paint everything the first color. I use various spray guns from detail to full size....because I have them.

Seen many people here do a fantastic job with rattle cans and rough casting with a brush and enamel. What ever you're confortable with as WE ALL like painting projects regardless of the method...:D

Mark

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have both a full size spray gun and touch up (7oz) one also.

I usually break it down into how long is it going to take me to paint the stuff.

If i can cover 4 rims (8 halfs) with one spray can id likely go that route.

Large tins i almost always break out a spray gun because the spray patterns are so much better and coverage is so much quicker. (keeping a wet edge etc)

hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It depends. To me paint is protection. Period. Just protection from the elements. So for me brushing is the best protection. Hoods I'll spray. I use a spray gun because I have several.

If I were ever to totally disassemble one to restore (which I'll never do...but) I would sandblast what needed it, use self etching automotive primer, and custom mixed automotive paint. But like I said, I'll never do that. But I love to look at machines others have done that too.

Rattle cans can do a good job also.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
For me, especially if there's some rust on the base metal or even if the metal can be etched or "roughed up" first, I use POR-15. It is just the best paint I've ever used by far. 2 coats over the metal and you've completely sealed it from ever rusting again. It's like a suit of armor for the implement and you can top coat it with whatever you want-spray paint, automotive lacquer based paint..whatever. Look it up on the web-POR-15- best stuff on earth.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
por 15 is good stuff. Used it a few times

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
Well, I've gotta beg to differ with you on that- you'd be surprised just how much you can paint with just a quart of that stuff. Let's say you could cover 2 implements- Ex: the Gravely 52 inch push plow ( always exposed to moisture if your're plowing snow w/ it and maybe a 26 inch snowblower. So you're able to cover these 2 things with 2 coats of POR-15. It'll be the last time you ever paint em and snow will roll off them like a teflon pan + they'll last forever cause they can never rust again.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
if you look at the big picture, sandblasting, primer, quality paint. Then look at the price of por 15, the por 15 is a bargain.

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Having been in the automotive body work and painting employment, for many years, i became very allergic to any of the new types of auto paint products. Mainly due to the hardeners and other additives. So, i can no longer use the spray gun for anything but laquer primer. solution? Spray cans. That paint doesn't bother me, so i use it. Also, on some parts, i have used the sponge brushes, which do not leave brush marks, and no worry about clean up later. Just drop it in the trash!
Also--the warnings about Isocyanates in the modern paints, which gives the high luster, and saying to spray it using supplied air, coveralls, eye protection, and all, they mean just what they say! If i had received that info many years ago, and the shop owner hadn't been a tight wad, know-it-all,I probably would be ok today! I can't even get near an auto paint shop, as i get an awful asthma type attack in my lungs! So--be prepared, and use the protection called for in the painting forums!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Good advice Rusty. I don't work in and have never sprayed anything more than enamel and base/clear coat, but I do know that the stuff is dangerous over a period of time.

Appreciate the PSA. :fing32:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did some test shots with some paint i had picked up.

What i noticed was that spray can white is VERY white compared to "Gravely" white. (compared to org white i find under stickers etc)

Generally for tractor type stuff that i use i like to match a spray gun paint to a rattle can paint so i can do easy touch ups for years to come.

Any suggestions for which spay can "white" would be closer to org "gravely white"

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
Sounds like pretty good stuff, what I like about POR-15 though is that you don't have to get the rust off first. POR-15 loves rust, in fact ya gotta have it to give the POR-15 something to GRAB onto. But this stuff you're talking about sounds like a great alternative if you've got a rust free surface to work with. I'll have to try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts