My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family uses our carport as a gathering place (chalk drawings by the kids, sitting and relaxing by the adults). I decided to get a ceiling fan and put it up out there to help give us some breeze on these hot summer days. I installed it yeasterday and equipped it with 4 yellow "bug bulbs."

Last night after dark, it was next to impossible to even go out there because there were bugs EVERYWHERE. They were little green things that looked like tiny origami. They were flying up and trying to get to the glow on the white ceiling, and the fan blades were knocking them back down in large numbers. It was like being dive bombed.

Obviously, the bugs were attracted to the bright spot on the ceiling, since they aren't supposed to be able to see the yellow bulbs. I did a bit of research on the web and found a few posts where people use varied shades of light blues and greens on porch ceilings to deter bugs. One rather sad explanation was the the old-timers did this to keep the "haints" away, and the deterrence of bugs was a beneficial side effect. They actually call these shades of blue "haint blue."

Now, I prefer to avoid the folklore, but do any of you have any experience with colors such as these keeping insects away from porches? We've been planning a color change on our house, and were leaning toward a dove gray, but the "Ohio Haint Blue - Light" listed on this page is very close. The "La Maison Bleu - Dark" on the same page might make a nice trim color.

So any non-supernatural experience with this would be appreciated.

Steve

·
2,261 Posts
The only thing I have thats seems to work is my Bug zapper-keep it away from where you are sitting and let it zap away.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
To keep haints away I'm a garlic man myself... Maybe you just had a "hatch" of these bugs and it's no more than a 1-2 night thing. Kinda like "mayflies" around here. Here tonight gone tomorrow. Now up this way, skeeters this year are another thing!!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope this crop of bugs was a temporary thing. We're planning a big 4th of July party and I want the folks who bring their musical instruments to be able to sit up there and pick and grin! :)

It's kind of hard to play a guitar while being pelted with tiny bugs.

BTW, my son suggested putting red lights in the fan for the 4th. I dissuaded. Wouldn't want HydroHarold showing up unannounced expecting to meet a one-legged hooker or something.:hide:

So, anybody else got any info about blue porches?

Steve

·
15,000 +posts!
20,446 Posts
I dont know about porches,but a ice cream stand/resturaunt I used to go to often thats off the beaten path near a brook that had bug woesl,installed yellow florecent lamps that helped a great deal to keep them away..

I had a bug zapper,and the black light bulb burned out in it--so being cheap I put in a regular white bulb,and if you ask me,MORE bugs were attracted to the white bulb than the "black" light one..especially june bugs,or beetles,there were so many flying in it I think thats what eventually killed it..took about 20 seconds to fry one of those!..I think the transformer in it croaked..I'd like to make one using a GM HEI coil !..50K volts== ZOTTT!..:D

I find a good spraying with a fogger like Raid's "Yard Gaurd" helps repel bugs better than pretty much anything else I have tried..campfire with cedar wood seems to help too..the pits is when you go night fishing..even with "OFF" or Cutters,your gauranteed to be eaten alive..
When I work outside in the summer and misquitoes are a pain,I set up my 24" box fan and plug it in!..it blows them 50 feet away and no way can they fly towards me,with that wind!..keeps me cool too..

I guess if all else fails,you can screen in the carport..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts