My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the seat on my old LX178 is a mess. Typical big cracks in the cover and foam rubber or whatever crumbling out. I didn't want to pay big bucks for a new one and couldn't find a used one. I saw a video using a non-JD replacement seat which required retrofitting of the hinge and welding which I don't want to tackle.

This weekend I found an excellent $20, used seat from a Craftsman , which had the same kind of hinge and only requires some drilling to enlarge the hinge holes.

The only problem... It's black AND it has "Craftsman" molded into the seat cover. I believe it's possible to paint vinyl seats and wondering if there is such a thing as John Deere yellow vinyl paint? The molded Craftsman will still show but maybe I can find a template of the Deere logo and used green vinyl paint to cover the molded name.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I would think the paint wouldn't hold up to the constant movement of the vinyl. Honestly your probably better off finding a similar seat to the original but in a "universal" fit. I replaced the seat on my x585 with a seat off eBay. I didn't want to spend the money on the suspension seat with arm rest so I bought a universal yellow seat with arm rests and it looks just as good.

·
2,610 Posts
Tractor Supply ( and maybe some other places ) carry a line of Rustoleum spray cans in different equipment manufacturers' (Farm & Implement) colors...including John Deere Yellow..not "made for" vinyl...but as pointed out any paint would probably crack and crumble off from constant flexing and temp changes....but if you get a can of it you can just touch it up when you are so inclined

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts