My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1966 JD 110 garden tractor. The question concerns green paint color.

JD has two green paints available, an older classic green and a newer green. The classic is darker than the newer, brighter green now used on JD lawn and garden equipment.

I am trying to figure out what color green is used on our 110. I've received some conflicting info from a local JD dealer and another one that does mail order parts/supplies, as well as some knowledgeable folk here at MTF.

I can't do a color match to our existing paint, as it is somewhat faded.

I want to get the correct color. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Definitive answer? Ask 10 people and you'll get one 10 times...

Here's Mine...

Consumer and Ag Green from your local dealer...

Classic Green was used on the 2 cylinder models prior to the introduction of the New Generation Tractors in 1961.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Classic Green was only used on the 2 cylinder models prior to the introduction of the New Generation Tractors in 1961.
That is exactly what my dealer says. I also have a friend that restores old JD's for a living, and that is what he says too.

·
Super Moderator
17,718 Posts
Definitive answer? Ask 10 people and you'll get one 10 times...

Here's Mine...

Consumer and Ag Green from your local dealer...

Classic Green was used on the 2 cylinder models prior to the introduction of the New Generation Tractors in 1961.
This it the correct answer for Painting any Of the Lawn & Garden tractors Produced By John Deere
While Classic May Look Good On it That is Not what was Put On at the Factory Deere Has Changed the Undercoat Process though since the 1963 110 It Changed in the early 1980’s:thThumbsU

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Just to be clear, you guys are all saying I need the newer, brighter green color (Consumer/Ag)?

Nuts!

The local dealer said I needed classic green. So I now have an $11 can of the wrong color. It's a 1.5 hour (round trip) drive. It's not even worth my time and gas money to exchange it.

How about the implements? Did any of those use the older classic green, or were they all done in the same Consumer/Ag Green?

·
Registered
227 Posts
YES that's what we're saying...

The issue you're having with your dealer is unfortunately not uncommon. While they are often very well versed in AG and L&G tractors built in the last 15-20 years, they're lacking on older equipment. My dealer KNOWS that I know more about the older Ag and L&G tractors than he does. Sad but true...most of my tractors are older than the guys behind the counter, heck they're older than me for that matter.

NO...no good on implements either.

JD Paint is good paint, all I use on my tractors, (Deere's anyway) many years ago I bought it for about 7 bucks a can, now it's 12ish or so. Hang on to it and take it back when you're going that way. It'll take SEVERAL cans to paint your tractor anyway, one is a drop in the bucket so to speak.

Tough break I know...live and learn...

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
......live and learn...
Yes, I learned something today thanks to all you guys. Much appreciated. Probably the biggest lesson is that I should have done my own homework (here on MTF!) first before making the purchase.

As for the $11 can of paint -- definitely not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Thanks everyone.:thanku:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts