My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that mix and spray your own paint, can you give me some tips or links to resources for doing a good job?

I'm intrigued by the comments about perfecting the color and also using hardeners to get a better finish.

I saw a gravity-feed sprayer at Lowe's which might work for me. Everything at Menards looked like junk. I would buy something decent but I'm not going to drop a ton of cash on it.

Just looking for some advice on equipment, and tips on spraying. What do you clean the sprayer with, how do you thin the paint, etc.

TIA

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
I'd recommend checkingout 500passwords Wheelhorse restoration here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9Mq41QLoQ

Its around 18 or so videos. He covers spray guns, thinners, hardeners, etc. I found it very interesting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shake the can until the ball rattles freely :177:

Sorry, could not help myself...........

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Did you see the stickys under the "Mechanical, Paint, and Restoration" section"? It looks like Mark777 put a lot of time into putting them together, and he might be someone good to PM with a question like you have. I'm hoping to get into non-rattlecan painting too, one of these years, so I'm following this thread with interest.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Did you see the stickys under the "Mechanical, Paint, and Restoration" section"? It looks like Mark777 put a lot of time into putting them together, and he might be someone good to PM with a question like you have. I'm hoping to get into non-rattlecan painting too, one of these years, so I'm following this thread with interest.
I've actually gone the other way. Painting with pressure pots and up to 100 gallons at a time gets old quick. Plus I can't go near the hardeners anymore or they could put me into the hospital.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm still stuck in the rattlecan age. Someday, I will treat myself to a complete setup to see what I've been missing all these years.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still stuck in the rattlecan age. Someday, I will treat myself to a complete setup to see what I've been missing all these years.

I just finished the cart frame with Rustoleum gloss black and am satisfied with the results. I don't know that I would do the hood and deck of a rider with rattle cans, but I've always been able to get good results with them.

I too want to see what I'm missing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FLA DON,
Sounds like you received your fill of isocynates from past painting experiences. Too bad the common belief years ago was that air purifying organic vapor respirators provided protection. Many small shops and private car clubs used gallons of Imron without realizing the consequences, I know a few that never used any form of respiratory protection while applying it. As a kid I remember using carbon tet to clean bicycle chains. Just think of how many people were exposed to methylene chloride when the OSHA exposure limit was set really high.
Many of the home improvement shows really throw a curve ball to folks when workers are shown using "dust masks" when spraying solvent based paints, even rattle cans in a confined area are a concern.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
FLA DON,
Sounds like you received your fill of isocynates from past painting experiences. Too bad the common belief years ago was that air purifying organic vapor respirators provided protection. Many small shops and private car clubs used gallons of Imron without realizing the consequences, I know a few that never used any form of respiratory protection while applying it. As a kid I remember using carbon tet to clean bicycle chains. Just think of how many people were exposed to methylene chloride when the OSHA exposure limit was set really high.
Many of the home improvement shows really throw a curve ball to folks when workers are shown using "dust masks" when spraying solvent based paints, even rattle cans in a confined area are a concern.
So what is the best protection when painting with hardeners in the paint?

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FLA DON,
HUGE dis-service to DIY'ers when the hosts of those shows don't wear suitable protection when doing demo, drywall finishing, concrete work, the list goes on and on....

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I just finished the cart frame with Rustoleum gloss black and am satisfied with the results. I don't know that I would do the hood and deck of a rider with rattle cans, but I've always been able to get good results with them.
The 18G I posted pics of has been painted with a rattle can. The rear fender pan and some of the front end has been painted with the rattlers. The fender pan got 3 coats of Gravely touch up and then 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear High Lustre Laquer. The color coat was wet sanded with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit. The laquer got the same treatment. That gets all the orange peel out of the finish. It was then power buffed to a high luster using, of all things, Meguiars Heavy Duty Color Restorer. I happened to use it on my boat and it worked quite well to bring the laquer to a high gloss.

I will be posting pics of my tire changing/rim painting experience in a couple days. The new tires are mounted and one side of the rims are painted. Tomorrow will see the other side painted. Then I will let them cure for a couple of days before I mount them. Stay tuned......................

·
Registered
62 Posts
So what is the best protection when painting with hardeners in the paint?
Best bet is ask your supplier of the paint and hardners most have a connection to industrial hygiene resources. I know the local automotive paint suppliers here in CT and RI have recommendations for the proper respiratory protection for the products they sell and even can provide the safety equipment. I work in EHS, our facility has 5 paint spray booths we switched to waterborne paint about 7 years ago. There are some really good 2 part waterborne paints all are exothermic and have a rest time before painting and dry really hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone sell Gravely Red in spray cans?

Tractor Supply has spray paint for all of the "Big Boy" tractors, but none for Gravely Tractors. When I had a Simplicity tractor, I was able to buy some Simplicity orange at a Simplicity dealer.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Really great thread, I was actually giving some thought to picking an affordable rig up today, or at least a book or two to try and learn the process.

I'd have to agree with the comments on DIY show hosts and crew members that do not use proper equipment while illustrating sanding, scraping, cutting, crawling in attics, using chemicals etc.. Some of the programs that show people blindly smashing walls, tile, and ripping floors out with sawzall's and sledge hammers without any thought, care, rhyme or reason, are terrible. What if the floor is asbestos? Do you know where the water/gas/electric lines are before starting? Are these lines off?

I had a former employee wield a hammer stupidly at a tile counter top without eye protection and received 12 stitches in his forehead after a loose tile cut him.

It's a dis-service to the average homeowner to show things being done this way...

I've worked in the renovation trade for quite sometime now and frown every time I see this on TV. There's a reason why we use eyes and ears, guards, respirators, and safety clothing including a hard hat. The small print at the bottom of the credits that says "some safety equipment removed by professionals" isn't an excuse.

If you ask me, the "pro" on television should serve as an example to everyone, not as the hot shot that certainly would've been fired by one of our foreman's for opening us up to fines for un-safe work practices and for being ignorant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts