My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My John Deere LA145 is two years old with 70 hrs. The green paint on the base (the part that incorporates the floorboard and under the seat etc.) is peeling. Its bubbling around all the edges. I'm kinda floored cause the tractor has never spent a night outside and has always been kept in an attached garage. I wash it nearly everytime i use it (maybe that was too much) and no, i did not spill gas on it. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm guessing that there is no warranty for this?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i will only say this: you get what you pay for :fing32:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The same thing happened to a friends L125.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
The "Garden Tractors" are powdercoated. Are the LA's painted?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
All JD's regardless of model get a liquid primer dip (e-coat) and then a powder paint that is sprayed on and baked.

Are you near the coast? Fertilize much? Those things can attack the metal. Are any non-JD painted parts like the engine or transmission rusting or corroding?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a Scotts 2048 that was the same as the current L series. It was 6 years old when I sold it and no problems with the paint at all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I noticed the same thing happening on my 155C this spring. It appears where the floor board bottom lip is has an issue with paint cracking and then moisture gets in and will start to bubble. Mine hasnt bubbled but I am afraid it will chip of in large chunks. My machine has never spent a night outdoors and it is washed and waxed often. Not much I can do about it but strip it down at some point and repaint. Hopefully I am able to upgrade before it comes to this. A small spot on the front of the deck has done the same thing, has this happened with you?

My extended warranty expired in the fall, of course, and I only have 69 hours on it.

AndyB- no way these line of deere machines can be compared to the 425/445/455. My dads 445 is 17 years old and it will clean and shine up looking very nice. Unfortunately n matter how hard I try, I wont be able to say that about my 155C in 17 years.

·
Silent, Senior MTF Member
871 Posts
Have you noticed alot of lawn fert "dust" on the tractor? That stuff will eat the paint too. :eck34:

·
Super Moderator
35,782 Posts
My 318 doesn't have this problem but my replacement deck seems to be doing some of the rusting and it doesn't spend any time outside and gets washed and waxed regularly. I just think that some of today's "high speed" paint processes at the factories just aren't as good as previous systems used. This could include the metal preparation phase as it is really important to ensure the metal is completely cleaned before painting.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
MY father had a 135 which is the same as a L135 and it rusted along the edge of his rear fenders and across the back. MY brother had a L120 I think and it did the same thing. I think they used a different painting method on these cheaper machines. WE have had other better made deeres and have not had any of these paint blistering issues. I had a LT166 and it looked like new after 11 years. You get what you pay for.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
The 316 my dad bought new did this after a handfull of years but 2 years seems a bit quick.

Here's a shot of the rear fenders and how rusted they were befor painting earlier this year.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Plastic doesn't rust :)

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
My old LA140 did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and showed them. I only had 25 hours left and two months of warranty remaining. After about a month of talking it over and them deciding they ended up painting it under warranty, even though it not normally covered as per our conversations, but I had said "if I purchased a new car and the paint was falling/flaking off it would be covered right?" I had to drop it off when they knew they weren't going to be busy and not rush them. It took them about one week to get it back to me and I was happy. Just my 2 cents. Its was worth a shot to contact them.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the LA series mowers are not built to the same standards that the X300, X500, X700 series are.
For one thing, they are built in different factories.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts