My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a case 220, stripped down to a pile of parts, all the dents are fixed and it's all sand blasted and ready for ....well paint or powder coat.

What would you guys go with??

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Powder coat. I am trying out bedliner on a couple of parts for durability on my massey and may go that route down the road and if it won't work out then powder coat.

·
22,343 Posts
That depends. Powder coat for a showpiece, paint for a worker.

Powder coat doesn't feather worth a darn for fixing scratches and it flakes off in big chunks once rusting starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea this aint going to be no showpiece. I cant have something that I'm too scared to use.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I'm with Tudor on this one. Powdercoat is real shiny , and hard too. But, once it chips ( as it will) the moisture can get under the edge and continue the flaking / rusting process.

I'd paint it with a 2 part paint if it's a worker. Actually, I'd rather paint just about anything mostly because I don't have a big oven.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
That depends. Powder coat for a showpiece, paint for a worker.

Powder coat doesn't feather worth a darn for fixing scratches and it flakes off in big chunks once rusting starts.
:ditto:

I'm with Tudor on this one. Powdercoat is real shiny , and hard too. But, once it chips ( as it will) the moisture can get under the edge and continue the flaking / rusting process.
:ditto: ... again!

And, it's nearly impossible to prepare a piece that's badly worn or, even slightly damaged, for the powder coat process (if you want it to look decent).

We did a small project for a customer who was restoring an antique stationary generator. He had the frame and other related items powder coated (looked beautiful) but, had two large, exposed motor mounts that needed to be prepared for the 'Oven'. The left only needed less than an hour with different grits and the use of a DA sander...the right, cracked and ugly, I decided flux coated brass and a few long sessions of grinding and filing to make it ready. Over two hours for that piece...

A few months later, I discovered this but have yet to try it: http://www.alvinproducts.com/Content.asp?id=20

Some day...maybe :dunno:

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
paint. It will look great done right and won't flake like powder coat. It's also easier to remove and repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys, thanx for help! I will be going with paint. I'll post pic's once this one is done!

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you do decide to do any other parts in powder coat, I bought the home powder coat kit from the Eastwood Company a few years back and it works great. I see they have since come up with other upgraded kits/gun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All the sheetmetal plus the wheel rims on my one-seventy have been powder coated. It's been about 5 years now and it still looks great. At the time I didn't have a means to paint it myself so I took the sheetmetal to a powdercoater to have it done. It's tough stuff.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
REALLY TOUGH STUFF looked at a place here in our area kinda expensive but I found out they do everything all I have to do is take them the part and they will blast and powder coat begining to end

1 - 13 of 13 Posts