My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... I'm feeling pretty old right now... I've had a half a day to reflect on what occurred... and how stupid I was last night...

long story short - I was working outside - it was hot, I felt sick - went inside and as I was washing off my face at the kitchen sink, I got weak and fell... that's it - my legs just went out from under me and I sprained my ankle... actually - I'm hoping it's just a sprain - I haven't gotten to the docs yet...

my wife is a little more worried about the heat stroke effects.... I... personally, since I can now breathe again, would prefer to walk without a cane...

Lesson learned... it was just too hot & humid for saw work... at least for me.... okay everybody - be sure to drink plenty of fluids when working outside in the heat...

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Glad it was not more serious than the sprained ankle. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Good lesson to us all. That sort of stuff sneaks up on all of us.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Ouch! Hope it heals fast! :praying:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I had heat stroke about 25 years ago and to this day, I won't work on a real hot day if I can avoid it, and if I have to, I go slow, take lots of breaks and drink lots of water. At the time, my brother challenged me to push mow my mom's yard on a 95+ degree day. Got it done, but the family all were shocked at my appearance when I got to the house. My mom pushed my head under the faucet in the kitchen and turned the water on. I complained, "Why are you running hot water on me?" But it was cold water. My brother grabbed some ice from the fridge and stuck it on my back where it melted pretty quick. As I remember, it took a few days before I felt "normal". I hope your ankle is ok, and take it easy out in the heat.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I've experienced the same (not injured) once when younger. Cutting / hauling firewood in waaaay too hot of a day. Worse feeling ever. Drank a 2 liter thermos of h20 and rested for 20 min. before the nausea left me.

Glad you did not bang your head or worse on the way down.

MU

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Glad your ok!

Had it happen to me about 7 years ago. Was at a 4th of July picnic, had to be 95 and humid, played volley ball with the 20 something crowd, I was 48 and needed to be on diet. Made it to the chair after the game and woke up in the emergency room. Arrived back at the picnic in time for the fireworks though.

Never again will I let myself get to that point- Could have died! Thank God they called an ambulance.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
And we wonder WHY THEY PUT CUP HOLDERS on tractors. I'm adding them to the ones that don't.
Glad you're back up and running, tc.
Been there, done that, too. It's worse when the wife isn't around to catch you.
Let the younger generation run around in 95+ degrees. You've paid your dues. Just sit back and watch them.
Slow down.
What doesn't get done today, will still be there tomorrow, to be done.

And 'liquid' DOES NOT include alcoholic liquid refreshments.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
If you are working in the heat and you get thirsty it is already too late.You have to hydrate to stave off heat stroke and keeping a wet head band on also helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks folks... and fortunately... there was no alcohol involved... just H2O... or it may have turned out differently...

and I was pretty lucky that I was leaning on the counter when this occurred - if I was moving through the kitchen - which has tile floors and quartz counter tops - I could have bopped my melon on the rock and been in real trouble... my wife wasn't home at the time - my 2 dogs did offer support, but not quite what I needed at the time...

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
While in boot camp the CC would always yell, "If you ain't p1ssin', ya better be drinking water, and if you're not drinkin' ya better be p1ssin'!"

One thing, I'm sure you all have noticed, is the color of your P. If it's yellow you need to drink more water. The clearer it is the better off you are.

Glad to hear it's only an ankle and nothing worse.

Pete

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Glad that your ankle's only sprained. Hope it heals fast. As for the heat stroke - it could happen to anybody at anytime. Good luck on a speedy recovery !

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Well, i decided to stave off heat stroke, so i went and bought a case of Iron City, stuffed it in the little fridge, and had a couple when i was done fer the day!
Figgered, at my age, i'd might as well enjoy the time i have left, and not worry about any bad effects i might have from drinkin' the stuff!
Works pretty good! My aching back is getting better, and the damage i did to it, just raising the storm window, is finally going away.
Oh, how old am I, you ask-------84+9 momths! And still fixin' mowers, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just putting in another two-cents....

Make sure you're not skipping any meals when working in the heat and humidity. Drinking plenty of water is a must, but it does not replace electrolytes.

There is actually a problem called water intoxication. When working in these conditions, a person who is drinking plenty of fluids (and has been producing plenty of clear urine) can still run into trouble if he/she hasn't been eating.

I have personally treated young, otherwise healthy soldiers during training who have had this problem.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,408 Posts
I'm going to have a lot of troubles this year with the heat this summer,I can tell.---after I nearly choked to death twice last Nov.and Dec.,and got severely constipated. for weeks,I could not "go",and ever since then,I haven't been able to swallow right, even drinking water can be hard,never mind eating..as a result I didn't get enough to eat ,lost 30 lbs,and felt like I was going to croak..still dont feel very good,but at least my bowels recoverd..

I've managed to re-gain the weight,by eating pasta daily,but can only eat soft foods and soup,and muffins mostly, find meat hard to eat now..I tire easily and feel lousy all the time,and my eyesight has gotten poor lately,getting new glasses did not help much (but I do think they did not do the tests on my eyes well,the lenses are not strong enough,and I'm taking them back!)..

I never did drink much water anyway,and if I do,I get bloated and have to empty my bladder too often for my liking...I rarely drink more than 2 glasses a day..if I drink more,it sloshes around in me like a tank with no baffles,and I feel "stuffed"..

Due to the fact I cant get enough food in me or water like I should now,I'm going to have to face the fact I will likely get tired faster and dehydrate faster than ever before..I already got two sunburns,one in april!--and another in May,when temps hit 90 degrees,and I was walking long distances at swap meets with no water with m (dumb,I know)..by the end of those 2 days,I was feeling pretty sick...my stomach feels like an ulcer 95% of the time too,always "hungry" feeling,unless I just ate..(Zantac helps,but doesn't cure that)..

sucks to get old, I thought I'd be 60 or older before having this poor a health,but I am "only" 50!..I'll be glad to hit 54,never mind 84..

But I know a guy who was 48,the other day my friend put a water pump on his Jeep--two days later,we read his obituary!..he eveidently had heart disease,and was attempting to "get in shape" by joining a gym..he died on a treadmill..doctor said "he should have been taking it easy"..not the usual "he needs more excercise" like they usually reccomend..too bad he didn't listen..he was a pretty "big" guy,so I suppose his weight was a factor..I'm only 160 lbs,if anything I need to gain more weight..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts