My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Looking into purchasing a pull behind sprayer for weed and feed my lawn and in the course of researching there are questions about being licensed.
Anyone in Pennsylvania know if I'm a homeowner and want to use herbicide products on my own lawn (not for profit, nor do I have a business) do I need a license?
I look on the Pa Department of Ag website and could not find any answers, all I could find is some stuff about pesticides. Is herb and pest lumped into same catagory?

I also have an email into dept of ag, just wondering if anyone here has any answers

·
Registered
476 Posts
Simple answer - no. If you needed a license to use the product it wouldn't be available for general sale to the public at Home Depot or anywhere else.
However, you may want to check local requirements for usage. Some places have regulations that require you to mark the property with appropriate warnings as to what was sprayed and where.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple answer - no. If you needed a license to use the product it wouldn't be available for general sale to the public at Home Depot or anywhere else.
However, you may want to check local requirements for usage. Some places have regulations that require you to mark the property with appropriate warnings as to what was sprayed and where.
That's kinda what I thought.
I have an email into dept of ag to verify.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Arathol is correct if a herbicide is available for sale to the public,you don't need a license to buy of apply it,the only thing you need a license for is "restricted use" chemicals that are only sold to people that have a license.It's been 10 years or a little more since I had my license but most of the restricted use chemicals at that time were pesticides,there were a few herbicides but it's hard to say what's on their "list" at present.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not strictly true. It depends on where you are spraying. For instance, if you are
spraying herbicide into a pond, there are restrictions even though the herbicides
are available over-the-counter or on line without any ID.

I use Cutrine Plus and Weedtrine D on my pond and there is some restriction
because the pond drains into protected streams and eventually to the Ohio River.
I don't need an applicators license but theoretically I have to have a permit
each year that I can get from Penn State by telling them what I am going to
do.

I talked to the guys in that office and what it boils down to is that because it was
clear to them what I was using and how much, they weren't particularly enthusiastic
about the paperwork. These two chemicals are about the only thing anyone with
any sense would use and I don't expect to be bothered. I do keep the bottles for
a couple of days afterwards just in case there are any questions.

But consider this. Most people don't have any idea what to use and are not going
to do the research to find out. Properties do get sold and a new owner might just
get disgusted with the algae and dump in a couple of gallons of Roundup or any
manner of thing. So there's a reason for the relatively mild restriction. Then again
we did have a fish kill a few years ago when a homeowner in a hoity-toity
development above us put too much of something on his lawn. No doubt he
bought it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts