My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had the XL running in about 6 wks. So hot and dry nothing will grow except the weeds. Supposed to get rain today so figured it was a good time to trim things up.

About an hour into the mowing I noticed the temp gauge started to climb. When it reached the hot zone, I shut it down. The overflow reservoir was doing just that with coolant coming out of the overflow hose. I've checked the belts, the fan works and can't see any leaks or bad hoses. When it finally cooled down, the coolant level in the plastic tank was at "full". Any thoughts on what is happening?

BTW, I have the Daihatsu diesel. It has about 600 hrs on it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so this is sort of embarrassing but I don't take all the blame. I had the tractor taken in to the shop. I had nightmares of what this was. Turns out it was a clogged screen. :eek: I didn't even know these had one, but there it was. It's a waved heavy mesh steel screen that sits between the radiator and the dash. Works like a filter on a forced air furnace does. Take off that little side panel on the left hand side and it slides right out.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I had to dig deep in the manuals to even see mention of the danged thing. The note to air blow it off (as well as other things) is stated very casually. The fact that mine was basically filled with caked on dirt could have been a disaster. Fortunately I saw the overheating and shut it off in time so that no damage was done.

For those of you with liquid cooled engines who never heard of this either, you might want to look.

By the way, I have a really nice dealer in the area. Told him about MTF and to check us out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only way I knew about that filter was from the informational video from when I bought the tractor. They made a big deal over the "Simplicity-designed" screen.

600hrs, pretty impressive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
They made a big deal over the "Simplicity-designed" screen.
Simplicity designed? I don't think so. Every full size tractor used for mowing that I've worked with in the last 27 years has had a shaker screen in front of the radiator. Its a neccessary daily clean-out.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simplicity designed? I don't think so. Every full size tractor used for mowing that I've worked with in the last 27 years has had a shaker screen in front of the radiator. Its a neccessary daily clean-out.
Now I'm even more embarassed.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Also blow out the radiator fins with compressed air at low pressure and don't damage the fins. I do this after each mowing when blowing down the rest of the tractor. slkpk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts