My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 JD LA145 (see shiny pic). I have 20hrs on it and haven't cleaned underneath the deck (besides the deck wash thingee) or sharpened the blades. Am I ok, or am I overdue for this maintenance? How am I supposed to do this at home???

Thanks,

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I pull my deck for inspection about every third mowing, so you're overdue IMO.

You need to pull the deck (consult your owners manual).

·
Registered
83 Posts
While it might be slight overkill, I use freshly sharpened blades each time I mow with both my N (5' Woods mower) and my smaller John Deere. I keep 2 sets of blades and sharpen them during the week, then each weekend before I mow I replace the blades with the newly sharpened set.

On the rare occasion I have to go a couple weeks without replacing blades I notice a difference in the quality of the cut.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
pop the deck off and clean it. might as well sharpen/change the baldes while you are at it, the time is close enough. the very first time you remvoe the deck it will take a little while, but each time after that it gets quicker. i can remove my L130's deck, change the 3 blades, and reinstall it in under 10 minutes now!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you changed the break in oil.

That's no problem, but this deck thing is new to me. I've never sharpened anything or taken a deck off. I'm at work right now :thThumbsU , but is taking the deck off a few bolts and done?

·
Premium Member
7,953 Posts
It should be 5 cotter pins and washers and done. Your owner's manual should have instructions for removing the deck.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
actually they ain't even cotter pins, they are clips. pull them out(easier said than done if in a bind) and slide the hanger off the pin holding it. i prefer to remove the hangers fromt eh tractor, not the deck, so tha tthe deck slides out easier. if you leave them hanging down from the tractor, they tend to catch the deck. you should have 1 idler pulley on the deck, use a wrench on teh nut to remove the tension and slip the belt off the PTO. i always remove the belt first, and install it last to make releasing/installing the hangers easier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
While it might be slight overkill, I use freshly sharpened blades each time I mow with both my N (5' Woods mower) and my smaller John Deere. I keep 2 sets of blades and sharpen them during the week, then each weekend before I mow I replace the blades with the newly sharpened set.

On the rare occasion I have to go a couple weeks without replacing blades I notice a difference in the quality of the cut.

Anal retentive, but hey, most of us on these boards are ocd on our lawns or our lawn equipment, aint we?:sidelaugh

note to self "buy another set of blades for each tractor...":greendr:

....no offense intended poprivit

·
Registered
7 Posts
you need to do the 10 hr in the manual I have a la135 same manual. also i don't think you need to pull the deck i blow it off with my blower and if it is wet grass i am mowing i drive it up on car ramps and wash out the deck to keep the gwet grass for harding up and causing rust. greese the deck every 10 hours. i have 50 on mine. blade sharping is dependent on the amount of rocks you hit.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
blade sharping is dependent on the amount of rocks you hit.

Been there done that.

Or the amount of sand in your yard.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just cutting grass only will round the edge off a properly sharpened blade...most folks wont care though.

Pretty sure on my Cub the schedule for greasing the deck is every 10hrs and you can't do that with the deck on. The JD and Cub is made by the same company so the maintenance should be the same.

If you do take the blades off use never-seize on the threads and next time they come off even easier.

ps go by the manual when you first take off the deck...after you do it 5x's or so it's less than a 5 min deal...and you prolong the life of your stuff.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
The JD and Cub is made by the same company so the maintenance should be the same.

NO THEY ARE NOT. Deere makes their own lawn/garden tractors. the dealer line is made in Wisc, the "100 series" are made at the old Scotts plant in TN. Deere L/G tractors are not made by AYP/MTD/Husq/Etc.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
^ well that's good to hear that JD was not corrupted by the parasite gypsy bastards at MTD...I stand corrected. hummm...I just might consider getting a JD if that's the case.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I watched a vid online at http://www.ehow.com/video_4426963_remove-deck-from-riding-lawn.html on how to take the deck off, but how did that deck so easily slide out from under the tractor...........?????

I am buying a grinder tonight and plan on taking the deck off, sharpening, and cleaning it up. I haven't hit many rocks and my dirt is as black as night (no sand). I'm hoping it will look good, but we'll see.

I'll take some pics and let you know how the process went.

·
Premium Member
7,953 Posts
I am buying a grinder tonight and plan on taking the deck off
:Stop:

If you need to buy a grinder to take the deck off, then I'm pretty sure that you're doing it wrong. (just joking, for those that couldn't tell)

:trink39: :trink39:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Of course we knew you were joking,Sean.

Even my 7 year old knows a grinder would take longer than a good cutting torch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I watched a vid online at http://www.ehow.com/video_4426963_remove-deck-from-riding-lawn.html on how to take the deck off, but how did that deck so easily slide out from under the tractor...........?????

I am buying a grinder tonight and plan on taking the deck off, sharpening, and cleaning it up. I haven't hit many rocks and my dirt is as black as night (no sand). I'm hoping it will look good, but we'll see.

I'll take some pics and let you know how the process went.
Does the deck slide that easily???? Or is that dude just ripped?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts