My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody think they over wash their mower. Maybe you do it after every cut. I wash mine about once a month. I know it is just a tool but I really hate for it to have dust and dirt stacked on it when I paid so much for it. I am trying to keep it looking nice for resale in about 10 years.

Couild I be doing more harm than good when it comes to the deck? I take off the guards and use a leaf blower to blow off most the water but am concerned about the areas that I can't reach with the blower. Should I hit any areas with WD40 or some other rust preventative? Is just greasing the zerks enough?

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
I blow mine off with compressed air to get rid of loose grass and dirt. Once in a while I'll take a bucket of water and a clean rag and wipe it down but that's about it. Like you said, it's a tool, not a showroom piece.

With regards to the zerks, what else could you do except grease them???

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I never take a hose to mine and it is spotless most of the time.I use a leaf blower after every use to get rid of the dust and the dry grass.Then I use a small amount of water in a bucket and I wash it that way.Basically I just wipe it down with a wet cloth and dry it off with a dry one.The tractor never get a hose taken to it.I have sprayed off the deck but only when it is off the tractor.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Like you said, it's a tool, not a showroom piece.

Considering mine cost as much as an average new entry level automobile, and my cars stay "show room". Yes my tractor is a showroom piece as much as it's a tool.

I believe in taking care of my equipment. Mine gets washed every few weeks. It gets blown off after every mowing.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Well, I plan on having this tractor until death do us part. So keeping it clean is part of making it last 25-30 years. :fing32:

I mow on Fridays. I blow the tractor and deck off with the air gun, drop the deck, install the “mower axles” and power wash the deck, after which I roll into the garage and stand against the wall.

I have for years had a 2800 PSI power washer in the garage, hooked up to soft water and ready to go at all the times. I just turn on the water and start the motor, so it is no fuss to power wash anything and everything, so I do.

Since the deck is so easy to pop off and back onto the tractor, there is no reason not to take it off and wash it. Since it is on the mower axles after the wash, I just role it into the garage and stand it against the wall. Then I spend the rest of the weekend playing with the tractor. Right now just using the cart to move and restack two hugh stacks of brick. It is nice to not have that deck in the way. On Sunday, I power wash the tractor, dry it, polish it, and put it in the storage shed, hoping the next Friday will hurry up and get here so I reattached the deck and do it all again.

My John Deere is a tool, a showroom piece, and the newest member of the family. :ROF

You would not believe how many times a year I wash my Carriage Cameo 5th wheel, including scrubbing the roof -- if I told you, you all would laugh and say I was crazy.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
The PO of my GT235 apparently believed in hosing off the deck, but nothing else. He succeeded in rusting the bearings in the blade mandrels by letting water sit, and not greasing the mandrels.

Dry it off with the blower or compressed air, and make sure you have grease in your mandrels, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My Craftsman lt has about 25 hrs on it and 3 coats of wax. It's more of a therapy thing to me. I've always enjoyed keeping up on my stuff. But I am that way with everything, not just my yard stuff.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I mainly use compressed air (with a long wand) on mine. Once in a while I'll hit it with the pressure washer but I'm VERY mindful of keeping water away from the shaft bearings and steering gear (where I grease it). if the cats have been crawling all over it with muddy feet I'll wipe it off with a wet towel.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Oops, I just noticed this thread was posted in the JD forum and I'm babbling about my Craftsman. I will slowly sneak away now lol.....:hide:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
BBY,

I don't think it was JD specific :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
My newer tractors ,,the x540 and the dixon get washed and waxed once a week if they get a scratch i use rubbing compound to buff that out ,,Everything i own is payed for i make no payments to anyone ,and i really enjoy takein care of everything

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Every time I get done using it. It's honey I have a job for you. And she gets her cleaning supply's and goes to town on her. :Stop:

Than after my nap and my dream. I go out and clean her. I can not stand dirty junk equipment. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't washed my X540 yet - only had it 6 weeks. I do blow it off with a leaf blower after every mow. Every couple of weeks I use a rag or two with water and/ or windex to clean things off and have it shine. This way I control were the water goes.

Same thing will all my tools. Clean them properly after every use. It usually adds to the project time but the tools last much longer, especially the carpentry tools.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Considering mine cost as much as an average new entry level automobile, and my cars stay "show room". Yes my tractor is a showroom piece as much as it's a tool.

I believe in taking care of my equipment. Mine gets washed every few weeks. It gets blown off after every mowing.

Money doesn't grow on trees.
:ditto::ditto: and thank you very much:trink40: slkpk

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Compressed air after mowing. I used to keep the LT133 really clean, then just kinda let it go. Now that I have the LA175 I feel kinda bad for Herbanjo using the older, dirtier rig. I can't wash it this weekend due to my stitches, but soon.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
I run the hose over mine after every mowing and under the deck to get out the stuff that would build up! About once a month I pull it and thoroughly clean the deck an wax it to help protect it. Normally the tractor gets the same care.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
I mainly use compressed air and my shop vac with a soft brush or long tube nozzle.( the covers on the deck have only 1 screw each side)

since mine is well " ICED" I just use the spray Ice Detailer (for in between waxings, it won't scratch ) and re ICE when ever I feel the need. I haven't washed the X520 yet, except the deck wash, to moisten the grass underneath.
I still haven't had a chance to use the Mojack!!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I blow mine off after every mowing with a leaf blower, and wax it in the spring. That's it. It's 4 years old and looks new, except for a few scratches. It's a working machine, I take care of it, but don't baby it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts