My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am planning to over-seed my lawn within the next week. I have ~20K SQFT that I want to over-seed. I am in New Jersey - Planting Zone 6. I had a soil test and my PH is 5.91. I am applying Lime in 2 days. I will core aerate and use a starter fertilizer. My question is around grass seed:

I already have ~25 lbs of Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue; I purchased about 5 months ago. My local Extension office suggested that K31 TF is not an optimal seed; and suggested I use a turf-type tall fescue seed instead. So, instead of wasting the K31, I was wondering if it is a good approach to mix it with a turf-type tall fescue seed; so it does not go to waste? Or should I throw the K31 TF away and use new purchase turf-type tall fescue seed?

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What are your goals for the lawn? K31 is not optimal, but it's a tough and hardy grass once you get it started. Like all fescues, it's a bunch grass so will need to be occassionally overseeded. That overseeding requirement includes the turf type fescues. If your goal is tough and low maintenance, than I wouldn't throw the K31 away. Perhaps blend it with others like you were thinking. But if you want the greenest, nicest lawn on the block....it won't meet your needs.

·
Super Moderator
31,745 Posts
Personaly I would add it to the other seed you choose. Some people dont care for diferent lawn grasses mixed, but I always think it makes a more hardy lawn, that is more able to withstand the off weather years, and bad insect years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast responses!!!

My goal is to have a healthy (grass) lawn. I am not too particular in terms of appearance; all grass looks nice to me. As long as it's grass rather than crabgrass or other weeds. Most important traits are disease resistance, tough in terms of heavier traffic (kids etc). I'll say low maintenance; not because I don't want to maintain it; rather just to be sure that it won't completely fail if I miss a fertilization etc.

Forgot to mention; my lawn is mostly full-sun with some shady areas around the perimeter of the property.

Any suggestions on what I might mix the K31 with?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I follow a plan like Ingersoll mentioned. I like a mix of bluegrass (likes your full sun), perennial rye, and some fescue. Bluegrass is tough to get started but once it goes it has rhizomes that fill any holes that the bunch grasses like fescue may leave. The problem is you can buy good and crappy varieties of all those, so you have to buy a reputable brand or from someone you trust.

·
Super Moderator
31,745 Posts
I follow a plan like Ingersoll mentioned. I like a mix of bluegrass (likes your full sun), perennial rye, and some fescue. Bluegrass is tough to get started but once it goes it has rhizomes that fill any holes that the bunch grasses like fescue may leave. The problem is you can buy good and crappy varieties of all those, so you have to buy a reputable brand or from someone you trust.
Thats the combo I plan to use at a vacation home we own that is sandy, and a lot of shade. Its really a good combo for less the perfect lawns.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My seed of choice here in central CT is the Jonathan Green Sun & Shade blend .....

I just tilled and seeded some areas, but my Oak trees are dropping acorns this year, and the squirrels love the newly seeded and strawed areas for burying them ... ^%^%&#*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts