My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my onan in my 982 is revving up and down well past the fast idle while mowing i checked the carb and throttle the springs are working. it also backfires when i turn it off and blows out a puff of smoke this just started so i am clueless it also sounds like it is missing while it runs the idle is very rough. if it were a car i would check the timing i have no idea how to do that with this.:banghead3

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like the governor is not working properly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did that cleaned and lubed it seems like it was running hot as well however i just cleaned all the fins and blew off the fan so i know air is circulating freely. thought it might be bad gas changed that and everything seems to be in order

·
10K and Climbin!
12,300 Posts
So what you're saying is that the thing 'searches' at any speed and over-revs @WOT? The backfire could be from idling too fast.. Try turning it down a bit and see if it helps. Before adjusting the governor I'd go through the carb.. Sounds like it's running on the lean side which indicates a plugged jet or restriction somewhere.. (also makes it run hot!) Just my $4.20 worth..

:goodl:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think it'll also backfire if it's running too lean. My 1811 was searching bad and backfiring until I richened it up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking maybe too rich i am going to check it as soon as the monsoon rains end,and change the fuel filter i changed it last year so maybe it needs to be changed again and ill put new plugs in it i changed them last year as well but they are cheap and it wont hurt. it backfires at low idle as well i always drop the throttle before i shut it off for a minute or two.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yeah, good call on the clogged jet. The rpm hunting could be a lean surge. I would give the carb a good cleaning, using compressed air an a piece of wire to ensure that the main jet is completely open.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok changed the plugs they were a light gray color,changed the fuel filter and ,changed the oil,added a can of seafoam and i off to the races thinking everything is a ok! not so cut the front went up the hill headed out back and it started doing it again only now its blowing gray/black smoke while i mow with the throttle set at half,any higher and off the govenor goes to the races. oh yea changed the air filter too. this has me hangin.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jim982 - I started having a surging problem with my 982 about a month or so ago. It would start out fine and hold idle to full throttle with no issue, but after about 10 minutes, it would start searching up and down. It got worse as time went on. I pulled the shroud sheet metal and sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the carb and the intake manifold connection points while the engine was running. I got a surge on the right side telling me I had an issue in that area. I pulled all the sheetmetal last nite along with the shrouds, intake and exhaust manifolds and found that the intake gasket on the right was blown. I ordered all the necessary gaskets (intake, exhaust & carb), a carb kit, head gaskets, and a new governor arm & bushing, just in case. I'm hoping that my only issue is the right intake gasket :praying: and I'll be up an running like a top by the weekend. May be worth a look even though your symptoms are a little different than mine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It could be possible when the engine gets good and hot one or more of the gaskets starts leaking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that very well could be i need to check it. i want to sell it, comes with a snow/dirt blade too whats a good price i was thinking 1500.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jim - I got mine all back together and running well. I replaced the intake & exhaust gaskets along with the 2 carb gaskets. All told I think I have $10 or so plus about 2 hours time. Good luck on your fix and sale!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i sprayed brake clean around the carb and it acted funny so i think that is the problem, heres the question; do i need to take the intake manifold off or can i get the carb off with out taking it off? thanks for all the help :banghead3

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jim - it's a bit of a crazy set up. You'll need to remove both exhaust manifolds then the intake. The carb is only removeable after you get the intake off as the bolts are on the bottom. All told, you'll need 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, 2 intake manifold gaskets and 2 carb gaskets, as there is a spacer between the carb and intake. Good Luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is a crazy set up i was reading in the onan manual that i got with the tractor which is very vague on how to get it off i was hoping for a short cut but i will agree with what you said all that will have to come off. sinde my truck is in the body shop this week i have time to pull it in ths garage and tear it apart. thanks for the help. where did you get your parts? cub dealer or internet? need to fab up a cross ram intake for it!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I order my Onan parts from www.jackssmallengines.com I get my part numbers from partstree and then look them up at jacks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok carb rebuilt,new gaskets on exhaust and intake. it started we will see the next time i mow the yard. thanks 70chevelle for your help and all others i will post when i mow again i think that it was the carb gasket when i sprayed it, it acted up so that was probably it. i will have to say i used my neighbors boomer new holland to cut the grass while mine was down boy that was nice 4wd and power steering that sure is nice!! i looked into a power steering conversion for mine and it was $700 in parts[used parts] to do it, i think ill pass !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts