My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some reviews on specific radio's, speakers and housings on an over head radio for my JD and the OTC cab. I plan on mounting it to the ceiling

I have a 3/8 plywood as a ceiling on the cab. So mounting will not be an issue.

Also have plenty of power

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
how do you guy hear them?? (assuming if you are bothering to mount a unit, you are using speakers???)

with the motor at full throttle I need to wear hearing protection in my cab ???

one more curious, why would anyone want to mount a "radio" why not just use an mp3 player?

not questioning just wondering... :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you guy hear them?? (assuming if you are bothering to mount a unit, you are using speakers???)

one more curious, why would anyone want to mount a "radio" why not just use an mp3 player?

Well that is a very valid question/point. If you watch the video and the applications on Agi equipment and CUT tractors they use noise reducing head phones.

So that is perfect to take care of two issues with one product!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
My iPhone with the "I heart radio app" would do the trick too.

·
Banned
292 Posts

I would assume you would need a lot of snow for an upgrade like this. I might not rank this as high of priority as others, but then again my motorcycle doesn't have a windshield and radio either ;)
I was always looking to buy a $300 strobe led mini bar to put on my cab, a heater, then I would add the navigation with gps auto steer.

To each their own I guess but I can also relate to you as I think the cab keeps you from knowing your surroundings so better being able to stop damage by using your sence of hearing I do understand. Curtis cab makes a stereo system for their cabs so their must be others with the same demands. Now a monitor for backup would be cool too..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume you would need a lot of snow for an upgrade like this. I might not rank this as high of priority as others, but then again my motorcycle doesn't have a windshield and radio either ;)
I was always looking to buy a $300 strobe led mini bar to put on my cab, a heater, then I would add the navigation with gps auto steer.

To each their own I guess but I can also relate to you as I think the cab keeps you from knowing your surroundings so better being able to stop damage by using your sence of hearing I do understand. Curtis cab makes a stereo system for their cabs so their must be others with the same demands. Now a monitor for backup would be cool too..
For around $170 I can get the radio and noise canceling head phones. This would be for both winter and summer use. I leave my cab on all year long. And the cab is an OTC soft side so it's very easy to remove all the sides and glass window.

So it's an investment that I think is worth my hearing protection and listening enjoyment.

As for the phone with the headphones I have tried it and I had to keep the charger on the Blackberry. Just another cord for me to get caught up on.

Love the questions and comments my fellow MTF members. Keep them coming.

·
Banned
292 Posts
For around $170 I can get the radio and noise canceling head phones. This would be for both winter and summer use. I leave my cab on all year long. And the cab is an OTC soft side so it's very easy to remove all the sides and glass window.

So it's an investment that I think is worth my hearing protection and listening enjoyment.

As for the phone with the headphones I have tried it and I had to keep the charger on the Blackberry. Just another cord for me to get caught up on.

This hobby falls under entertainment expenses, so do it:fing32:

I sold my cab last spring and I will miss it. Everyone has their wish list and Deere marketing has even geared toward ipod capiable machines..

Just make sure you get an extra garage door opener to put in your cab.. nothing worse than having to get out of a warm cab to open the door and then climb back in ;)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I hope the sound from the radio and the noise cancelling abilities of the headset still allow a horn blast through when working near the end of the driveway.

It will be interesting to hear see how things work out.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

How does the WE behave with everything off but the frame and top? Did you have to add any additional bracing to it? This spring I remember thinking mine kind of wobbly during a drive on the yard instead of the nice smooth driveway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope the sound from the radio and the noise cancelling abilities of the headset still allow a horn blast through when working near the end of the driveway.

It will be interesting to hear see how things work out.
Well this is another good point! The way I see it the noise level will be about the same as if the engine was at full power.

Just won't be so harmful to my hearing years from now.

Just going to raise my level of awareness while I operate in the hood cleaning up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How does the WE behave with everything off but the frame and top? Did you have to add any additional bracing to it? This spring I remember thinking mine kind of wobbly during a drive on the yard instead of the nice smooth driveway.
It does move around. Nothing that I am worried about. It's a light weight pipe frame so it's expected to move around.

I have had 3 other OTC cabs that my father had on his Craftsman tractors. All did the same thing but never had an issues.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
I bought the JD noise cancelling headphones from Lowes earlier this year. I LOVE them. They are designed to tune out the specific frequencies coming from a lawn/garden tractor. They work great for this application. You can plug them into anything with a headphone jack.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the JD noise cancelling headphones from Lowes earlier this year. I LOVE them. They are designed to tune out the specific frequencies coming from a lawn/garden tractor. They work great for this application. You can plug them into anything with a headphone jack.
Nothing at Lowes this time of year. But I will keep an eye out for them.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts

I have a stereo in my cab. I wear ear plugs. The ear plugs don't effect the stereo sound too much. They drown out the tractor noise well but you can still hear the radio. Just crank it up a little bit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here is my answer to the radio! I work for NASCAR as a track safety worker. During a conference in Concord, NC I purchased custom fit ear plugs with speakers.

They were very expensive but as I use them more and more I am finding them very handy.

So the overhead radio has been put on the back burner and my smart phone with Slacker Radio has been used for the first time today.

not only am I getting music but my hearing is being saved with this product!

for the moldings and the green finish product it cost me about $125

due my year round use I think it's well spent $$

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

There's more on the radio than just music. I love to mow while I'm listening to a ballgame.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Hey Sippy, those ear phones are pretty cool. Where can I get some?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Sippy, those ear phones are pretty cool. Where can I get some?
go to Racing Radio's or Racing Electronics. They are called custom fit or molded ear piece. The part number for Racing Radio's is: CE28

1 - 20 of 21 Posts