My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a JD 1040 and the alternator is putting out around 19V at the battery. So Im assuming the regulator is bad.
Just wanted to check that diagnosis and whether there is any tweak/ fix or just replace the regulator.
And checking that it is the regulator that is just below the steering column. Nothing on the Alternator itself.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hmm, 19v seems a little high, but not really sure. It sounds like the regulator is the culprit but check your ground first! The regulator looks voltage at battery and then sends power to battery based on battery voltage. A bad ground on regulator will give regulator "bad info". Remove regulator, clean bottom of regulator and surface it mounts to. If you have an external ground wire, remove & clean that connection also. Reassemble and check voltage at battery. If still 19V, I'd say regulator is bad. I'm not familiar with your particular regulator, so I can't if it can be adjusted or not. Bob

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am not familiar with the 1040, but when I look at parts catalog, it is shown on the alternator. #22 in picture. It is part of the brush holder.
1040.PNG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not familiar with the 1040, but when I look at parts catalog, it is shown on the alternator. #22 in picture. It is part of the brush holder. View attachment 2449958
Thank you for the feedback. You dont recognize the JD1040 description because I miss typed- it is a 1050 model. Very sorry. For some reason it does not have an alternator mounted Regulator. I have been able to verify this series of tractor does have the regulator under the dash. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, 19v seems a little high, but not really sure. It sounds like the regulator is the culprit but check your ground first! The regulator looks voltage at battery and then sends power to battery based on battery voltage. A bad ground on regulator will give regulator "bad info". Remove regulator, clean bottom of regulator and surface it mounts to. If you have an external ground wire, remove & clean that connection also. Reassemble and check voltage at battery. If still 19V, I'd say regulator is bad. I'm not familiar with your particular regulator, so I can't if it can be adjusted or not. Bob
Thanks for the info. The tractor model is actually 1050 not 1040. My bad. It does have the reg under the dash. I will follow your suggestions and see if that helps. If not, I guess its time for a new reg.

Thank you very much for your help..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes the 1050 does have external regulator. I think you definitely need to replace it. CH12806 is the part number from deere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts