My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been running Exmark since summer of 05. I was running the XS series with the 25hp Kubota diesel. They were good mowers when they didnt break down.. :banghead3 There are 3 key points that fail almost like clockwork on these models and all the dealers do is replace till it fails again. Exmark knows the problems, but doesnt seem to want to fix them. Below are the main fail points.

First is the electric fan, the fan motor must get hot and causes them to fail, and when they do, the engine temp just keeps rising, and you have to shut the engine off hot, cause it will not cool on its own.

Second is the Mule belt spring, this is the tensioner spring for the belt from the engine to the deck. I cant tell you how many of these springs I have broke in the 4 machines I have had since 05. This black one is supposed to be a new style, It was installed last week, so I wont know if its better than the old style or not.

Third is the muffler issues:banghead3 My last machine, a 07 with 920hrs has had 3 mufflers so far. These either break at the manifold, or break mounting bolts that hold the bracket to the engine block on the other side. 4 weeks ago, the two bolts broke off in the block, dealership had a welding shop come remove the bolts, and new ones put in, 2 weeks later, muffler broke at the manifold. Buddy tack welded to get me by couple days, then it started to crack again. (See below)

Dealer ordered a new muffler, they installed it and 4 hrs later, one of the bolts broke again (See below)

Here is a shot of the muffler and how it sits

I would not recommend the Kubota diesel powered Exmark XS series to anyone!!!

Last month I traded my 08 Exmark in for a new John Deere 997, love it so far!!

And just traded the 07 Exmark in on a 04 John Deere 777. Like it so far, but today was the first day on the job.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Now you need to get a Green & Yellow pickup to pull those bad boys around to your job sites:trink40: slkpk

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I would put braided flex pipe on the muffler...
A Subaru electric fan...
And tryed a different brand of springs...

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Subaru electric fan...
The machines have always been under warranty. I ran the 07 (the last machine) 1 month outta warranty and still the problems.

As far as using other brand parts, there would be the trial and error thing finding parts that will fit and work correctly and spending the time to make brackets and mounts to make them fit. I use these machines almost everyday throughout the summer, so I need something that is gonna be reliable. Also, if I would have tryed other parts while still under warranty, and something went wrong, caused by the parts I used, then I get to pay for those parts too since warranty would not be covered anymore since modifying.

Kbeitz, I understand where your coming from, but these problems with these machines have been around since 05, Exmark has had 4 years now to try to find a solution to these problems.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Newt,

Sorry to hear your Exmark woes, I've always heard they were good machines, but you use them commercially and would know. From what I've heard, the Deere 997 is just a pig: there's nothing they won't plow through. :) They also have a real powerful rumble that I can't say how it compares to the Kubota diesels. Good luck! :)

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Newt,
Very good write up. I have always heard that Exmark is the absolute best. That of course is just hear say. I am interested to see how the 997 works out for you. I just bought more property adjacent to mine and now gives me 7 acres to mow. The 2305 is mowing fine but with the new task at hand, I will have to see how it goes. Either way I am keeping the 2305 and may ADD to my collection.:thThumbsU

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
A Subaru electric fan...

I was going to say, not under warranty you wouldn't.

First time they see modifications, it's your baby.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, its just the Kubota diesel powered units that have these problems, Im sure the rest of the models are fine, I just never owned on of the non Kubota diesel powered units.

And I have 128 trouble free hours on the 997 so far!! :bananapow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts