My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll start by saying that i'm gonna try this and wont feel bad at all if it fails spectacourly (sp?). what im gonna do is put 3 briggs 15hp big block engines (32cu.in) on my montgomery wards tractor. its a simplicity S frame shaft drive style. my plan is to put them on inline and stretch the frame, easy enough... but what i'd like to do is have them all run down to a jack shaft with seperate drive belts. the theory is that then i could engage them as power is needed by a hand lever that would engage seperate belt tensioners in stages per say. my real question i suppose is to run springs to tension the "clutches" or to run an adjustable threaded system? it would also be a dead man, that if an accident happend would go neutral.

·
Registered
595 Posts
sounds doable... the linkage for engaging each motor may be a little challenging. might be easier to run all 3 motors continually, all engaged all the time. do you already have the 3 motors? finding 3 identical motors might be a PIA...

tmm

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
This sounds neat! I would go with spring loaded clutches - trying to figure out a threaded system might be a pain, and the spring system should be fine.

Be sure to post some pics!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sounds like you have a neat idea. Maybe I'm missing a picture here. Let's say your moving you unit with one engine, what is the state of the other 2 engines, idling or off? If they are idling, then you will need 3 throttle cables. The way I see it, if you're putting the primary engine under some stress, why not have all 3 engines running to have less stress on the engines. Plus the fuel consumption probably won't be much different. If one engine is at wide open throttle, all three would be roughly 1/3 throttle, maybe less. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to prevent overkill which I'm sure we all have done in the past.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
a guy near me had one this only with two he stretched the frame and had the first engine in the original spot and then dropped the second engine down a little he bypassed the clutch pullies and brakes. he rebuilt the transaxle with heavier gears only useing two gears nutreal and what ever speed he wanted. he used his for raceing not pulling. he made hubs for the axles and put brakes and rotors on it and made a hydrolic brake system. he dropped theaxle a little and put a double pulley on it. for the trottle he made a system with a gas pedal. he would hit the gas pedal and it would move a lever and had to bars going to the carbs on the motors and he did the same for the choke. he was a sharp guy and had alot of trial and error. if i see him ill try to get a pic or two for you. keep us updated if you do it

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
a guy here used 2 12hp kohlers on a wheel horse, and had the front motor with an electric clutch, rear motor ran trans, and had the same size pulley as the front motor with electric clutch...engaged electric clutch and ran boths motors all the time while pulling...govenors took a minute to find each other but once they did it worked good...

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
That tractor is OSU's tractor aint it? or is it one of the schools in KY? Cant remember and cant find that vid right off...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input guys. i do plan to have three throttles, in all reality tho, theyd most likely be be run at WOT most of the time. they could run or idle independently as they would only be engaged once they are engaged by their individual clutches progressively. so could use just one running to move it around and the other 2 wouldnt be spinning. i do have the engines. im leaning towards the spring engagement cause it seems like it be easier to adjust.

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Not to get away from the multiple engines idea but have you considered putting in a 4 cyl auto engine? Last one my buddy built was a Cummins 4BT with turbo. Ran it in a GT with the frame lengthend out. Narrowed 9" Ford rear axle and a 2 sp powerglide. Made around 800 hp and was a blast to pull with. I may take an old 20r or 22r Toyota truck engine and 5sp and do something with my old Massey 14 frame that is just sitting myself. It would be a workhorse not a puller though.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Not to get away from the multiple engines idea but have you considered putting in a 4 cyl auto engine? Last one my buddy built was a Cummins 4BT with turbo. Ran it in a GT with the frame lengthend out. Narrowed 9" Ford rear axle and a 2 sp powerglide. Made around 800 hp and was a blast to pull with. I may take an old 20r or 22r Toyota truck engine and 5sp and do something with my old Massey 14 frame that is just sitting myself. It would be a workhorse not a puller though.
A 4BT on GT??!!!!?!?!?!?! I would LOVE to see that!! I couldn't imagine any GT frame handling that kind of weight or power. I want to put a 4BT in my CJ Jeep, I couldn't imagine trying to shove one in my SEARS Suburban tho lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
here are a couple tractors a guy in are local club did the green one has 2 12.5hp briggs motors hooked crank-crank with a coupler and it has a cub rear end it is a very competative tractor. the red one had 2 11hp singles ran on belts from crank to crank and from what he said he had a very hard time keeping the motors in time with each other. just to help give you some ideas.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Neat pics id like to see the drive aspect pics, maybe a belt connecting 2 engines and a split choke and throttle lever like used on a snowmobile. Then a single belt to drive rear axle. Or convert to 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler axle and run a chain drive linking both engines and rear sprocket. Im sure there many ways to do this just throwing a few ideas out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.