My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on having a new house built. It's about 85 or 90 feet long. There are 4 2 bulb flood lights On the back to light up the backyard to the treeline 40' away. The bulbs I got were the brightest LED ones I could find at Lowes. They aren't too bad for what I paid for them - $20 for a box of 4. Maybe it was $40 for 4... Now I don't recall. Anyays, they pull 13w each and output like 1100 lumens. They illuminate to the tree line no problem, but I'd like to penetrate into it farther, and darn near illuminate the front yard from the back yard.

I found the ones in the link below on ebay. They're like $29/each. Ge Nighthawk LED. They pull 32w each, so 64 watts total won't strain the fixtures that are rated to well over 120 watt, and output 3000 lumens. Each bulb is equivalent to a 250 watt incandescent.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R2.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xge+nighthawk.TRS0&_nkw=ge+nighthawk+led&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=led+flood+light+bulb+outdoor

Anybody have experience with them? They look to have pretty good reviews, but I just don't know if they'd be worth it.

2 Posts
Are you seriously married to those fixtures, or would you consider replacing them with regular flood lights like I've installed here. (Hope this picture actually shows up!) These fixtures are each 50-watt, 4500-lumen flood lights, and just the two of them light up that end of the back yard very nicely. Current price from Amazon is about $22 apiece. They're mounted on a vinyl post which is attached to our garage, and they light up the edge of the woods very nicely at least 80 feet away. We have been using them for more than two years and like them a lot.
-Just an idea. Good luck with your project!

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they’re kind of attached to the underside of the soffit, so whatever I end up with needs to fit there. $22 for 4500 lumens is sweet, so I might need to figure out how to mount them up underneath, but by the looks of them, I’ll need to put them on a pole like you did.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, they’re kind of attached to the underside of the soffit, so whatever I end up with needs to fit there. $22 for 4500 lumens is sweet, so I might need to figure out how to mount them up underneath, but by the looks of them, I’ll need to put them on a pole like you did.
That might be with the ones shown. But there are so many others that would probably work for you. Prices aren't that bad anymore for LED's.

·
Blank Space
2,991 Posts
They illuminate to the tree line no problem, but I'd like to penetrate into it farther, and darn near illuminate the front yard from the back yard.
How bright? I don't try to make it look like daytime. I just want to bring it above ambient a few steps so things show up. I put in some 4W LEDs that do a lot more than I expected for 50' or so.

You may need to mix in a couple of spot beams with the floods.

And I wouldn't stay with the old style two bulb fixtures using screw base lamps. I'd go to a different fixture spaced differently. If you're still building, now is the time to move things.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little late to move things. Ceilings and soffit are all done. I think i’m pretty locked into the 2 bulb screw in type, unless I locate lights remotely, which actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

We have 4 low wattage non-motion sending carriage lights on the back of the house for “mood lighting.” 2 on the deck, one below the porch, and one on back of garage.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Blank Space
2,991 Posts
unless I locate lights remotely, which actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea.
Not knowing your budget or what your (her:tango_face_angel: ) design requirements are, another suggestion would be post/pole mounted lamps. Up higher, but aimed down and only slightly out. Use your lumens more effectively to light the ground instead of the sky like most building mounted floodlights do. Think street or parking lot lights. They make homeowner versions for a few hundred dollars that are said to be maintenance free for some years. Or use some other style pole and the units mentioned above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Working on having a new house built. It's about 85 or 90 feet long. There are 4 2 bulb flood lights On the back to light up the backyard to the treeline 40' away. The bulbs I got were the brightest LED ones I could find at Lowes. They aren't too bad for what I paid for them - $20 for a box of 4. Maybe it was $40 for 4... Now I don't recall. Anyays, they pull 13w each and output like 1100 lumens. They illuminate to the tree line no problem, but I'd like to penetrate into it farther, and darn near illuminate the front yard from the back yard.
One of my rental buildings has a 2 bulb fixture attached to the underside of the 2nd story soffit. After buying the property I changed the bulbs to LED's from Lowes using a long pole with a "bulb grabber" on the end. They are 100 w. equivalent each; cost approx. $20 each and are rated for damp locations. They burn I think it was around 18 w. each and are a soft color. Physically they have a wide, thick, and FLAT surface end. One prematurely died after about 6 months. Replaced it about 4-5 years ago and they have both been fine ever since.
Lowes takes back all returns so you've nothing to lose giving them a try.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All 4 lights are now functional. I played with them a little tonight, getting them adjusted to where I want them. The light of all 4 combined isn't too bad. I might still try one of those NightHawk bulbs just for the fun of it.

It would be nice to get a couple of them moved outward toward the corners a little bit if possible. There's one gutter that casts a mean shadow, and the outside corner of the house blocks a lot of the light to the yard on another one. It did help a lot when I pointed them more outward than downward, too. My phone died just as I tried to take the first picture after adjusting them where I want them. I'd say the light within 50' or 60' of the house could be "athletic field quality" with better bulbs. It's definitely that quality within 20' of the house as-is. I can pretty much illuminate the entire back yard decently far into the treeline, 50% of the garage side yard, and 80% of the barn side yard. Into the treeline I'd say I can do night time chainsaw work or yard clean up if need be (hey sometimes I need to be at work until the daylight is pretty much gone by the time I get home!). The barn side yard is where I might put the brighter bulb, as there are zero obstacles for it. I found that even with the bulbs I have, I can cast some usable light into my parents' back yard about 250' away, and actually even light up the barn yard a fair bit.

Other than the one GE bulb at the start of this thread trying in the corner, I think I might stick with the ones I have awhile.

·
Cub Cadet Beta Tester
27 Posts
Are you seriously married to those fixtures, or would you consider replacing them with regular flood lights as I've installed here. (Hope this picture actually shows up!) These fixtures are each 50-watt, 4500-lumen flood lights, and just the two of them light up that end of the back yard very nicely. The current price from Amazon is about $22 apiece. They're mounted on a vinyl post which is attached to our garage, and they light up the edge of the woods very nicely at least 80 feet away. We have been using them for more than two years and like them a lot.
-Just an idea. Good luck with your project!
Do you have the link for that fixture? In case people don't know, one additional benefit of LED exterior lights is that they attract way fewer bugs. I guess it is the lack of the 60Hz and or the heat, but either way it is significant. I have this one on the corner of my barn and the reduction in moths, beetles, and other insects are noticeable!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Wall-Pole-Mount-Area-Light-Outdoor-LED-with-Dusk-to-Dawn-Control-DW9519GY-A/207105761

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have fixtures like Wobbly and they work well. They can be mounted to the outer edge of your eve. You can get them in 100, 120, 200 and even 300 watt units that put out a ton of light. I imagine 2 - 100 watt units would work well. I'd have to look up the lumens on mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts