My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Jere....Are you going get a protector or liner? Great looking truck!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jere....Are you going get a protector or liner? Great looking truck!
The beds of Tacoma for the past several years, including my 2010 and this 2018 are composite. They are nearly bullet proof but they are slippery. Not to worry, Toyota makes a bed mat of a dense rubber that fits perfectly. Of course they cost too. I kept my bed liner from my 2010 and fit it nicely into my 2018.

Couple pictures below show the composite bed, and the first two show the mat installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Jere....D rings already in the bed. Man is that sweet! Are you getting another truck cap? I remember you writing about meeting someone to buy that cap.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure yet on a cap, or tonneau cover, or riding bare back for a while till some inspiration/good price hits me on side of my head. D-Rings near the tailgate, I added two at the front, just like I did on my first Tacoma (in fact, I just pulled them off the first and put them on the new truck.

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
The beds of Tacoma for the past several years, including my 2010 and this 2018 are composite. They are nearly bullet proof but they are slippery. Not to worry, Toyota makes a bed mat of a dense rubber that fits perfectly. Of course they cost too. I kept my bed liner from my 2010 and fit it nicely into my 2018.

Couple pictures below show the composite bed, and the first two show the mat installed.
That's interesting, I didn't know the beds were composite on the second and third gens. I like the idea, it makes the bed more resistant to dents and won't rust out on the bottom.

Jere, are you a member of TacomaWorld?

·
16,230 Posts
You had a ways to go yet. Currently running a 2004 Tacoma TRD Offroad, V6, automatic with 171,000. Bought it new. Completely rebuilt with new frame. No body rust. Basically trouble free. Never has used a drop of oil. No TPMS foolishness on that truck. Stupid simple and reliable. The newer V6s might be better, but pulling a trailer through our mountains was never it's strong suit.

Tacomas are expensive, but you get what you pay for and 15+ years of ownership is not uncommon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
///////////////////////////////////

R/R--I can attest to the Tacoma's longivity, also. I had a '02 Tacoma Xtend-cab that I sold in August/17 w/ 202,000 on the meter. True--most of mine was highway back/forth to work, but a lot of beach trips etc. also. Never let me down either. Everything worked fine on it, when a gentleman from NY state asked about buying it where I had posted some glamour shots of it, as a lark. (won't do that again) He flew down here--met me @ the airport, and drove her back home. I did she a tear--that was my daily driver for near 15 years. Like you said--the only downfall was the V-6 pulling a trailer in the mountains. Tranny was working itself to death....I moved up to a V8 in a fill sized GMC. No problems now towing..

'Yota's are crazy expensive here, also, IMHO--but out west--they DOUBLE in price.

glenn

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
///////////////////////////////////

R/R--I can attest to the Tacoma's longivity, also. I had a '02 Tacoma Xtend-cab that I sold in August/17 w/ 202,000 on the meter. True--most of mine was highway back/forth to work, but a lot of beach trips etc. also. Never let me down either. Everything worked fine on it, when a gentleman from NY state asked about buying it where I had posted some glamour shots of it, as a lark. (won't do that again) He flew down here--met me @ the airport, and drove her back home. I did she a tear--that was my daily driver for near 15 years. Like you said--the only downfall was the V-6 pulling a trailer in the mountains. Tranny was working itself to death....I moved up to a V8 in a fill sized GMC. No problems now towing..

'Yota's are crazy expensive here, also, IMHO--but out west--they DOUBLE in price.

glenn
I remember when you sold yours! It was a clean truck. :thThumbsU

I had an '02 TRD as well. I sold it for $1500 more after 4 years of ownership than what I purchased it for but I had done several upgrades to it. They do hold their value like crazy. Loved that truck, it was my first one.

I am, and pretty much posted the same pictures and words there too:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-19583251
Good stuff, TW is a good site, boy it sure has grown into a huge forum. I used to be pretty active on there and attended some of the meets. The SoCal ones were the best. Very active people on there who like to get out and use their trucks. People of all ages there building their trucks in all sorts of ways. It's not uncommon to see members there who have into the tens of thousands of posts. TW really lives up to its name and the Tacoma is one of the most universal, desirable and reliable trucks ever made. :thThumbsU

Jere--Good for you--smart man...

Austen-- as far my ol' Yota --got a note back around Xmas from the NY Man that purchased it--still lovin' it--only had to replace the muffler and tailpipe--said--still purring like a kitten, he noted.
I feel real satisfied on that whole transaction--wish all weere that good..

Carry on-Jere!

glenn

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Finally putting the new truck to work - well, not the hard part, that comes tomorrow.

I'll be the sore muscle guy by the end of the weekend. Towed home this rental chipper this evening, get it the rest of today, Saturday, Sunday, and return Monday morning. Should be dragging by then.

Weather Guessers are still attempting to convince me the rain will end over night.

And, in answer to an old question, a cap is on order for delivery after next Social Security direct deposit.

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Finally putting the new truck to work - well, not the hard part, that comes tomorrow.

I'll be the sore muscle guy by the end of the weekend. Towed home this rental chipper this evening, get it the rest of today, Saturday, Sunday, and return Monday morning. Should be dragging by then.

Weather Guessers are still attempting to convince me the rain will end over night.

And, in answer to an old question, a cap is on order for delivery after next Social Security direct deposit.
Take care of your body and work safe! :tango_face_smile:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, the order has finally come in. Dealer projected 3-4 weeks, and sure enough, it showed up 7 weeks later. Oh, well - I went to the mountains this past weekend, and could have used it for hauling a piece of furniture and a couple chainsaws. Anyway, Here it sits, the dealer is near several large Oak trees that are spreading pollen this time of year. In perhaps an acknowledgement that my truck was clean, and the cap was not, he offered a $30 discount instead of washing it. I turned the $30 into an LED strip light for the bed. I like the looks, the fit, the accessories (sliding side windows, sliding and drop down front window for easy cleaning, roof rack tracks), and the color match. I'll withhold final judgement till first rain:

·
Parts collector
2,761 Posts
Very nice looking truck but if I was gonna buy new... I would get a Dodge 1500 quad cab with the V6 Diesel. I hear they are getting 24+mpg and can haul close to 10K. :tango_face_wink:

There are some funny comments on here...... LOL.......... :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
:thThumbsU Looks pretty sharp, Jere.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,818 Posts
Nice Here! Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Jere - How are you liking the new Tacoma by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts