My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this house 8 years ago. It is 2 story, 4 bedrooms on 1.3 acres. It was $10,000. It still needs a lot of work, but have it for retiring.

The white placard on the plywood is what made a ten day trip into five weeks. I had planned on putting in a new septic system in the future. The zoning officer speeded up the process. I still don't know how he condemned it in 1999 when there was no water to the house. The first story I got was a 55 gallon drum on the north side was the septic system. I thought I had him cured when I told him the septic line went south. Eight years later someone wants to buy the house. One day I tell the real estate agent a price noone will pay. The next day there is a new condemned placard on the house.

To get the meaning of the placard straight it cost money for a lawyer. I thought it was for the roof over the kitchen door. I tried jacking it up to level it and decided it was too far gone to save. After tearing it off on Sunday I find Monday it was because of the wandering septic system. The new story was something about toilet paper in the road. One lies, the other one swears to it and what do you do.

The main thing accomplished is I have in writing that the only problem with the house is the septic so he can't jump on me about anything else. I think he has found I jump back. Since he and his cohort aren't from Naples they aren't smart enough to think about how I grew up there. The prospective buyer had already gotten an estimate for tearing the house down and hauling it off. My classmate that gave him the estimate stopped to see me the first Monday I was in town. I got there on Friday night.

I did paint all of the plywood covering the windows and did a few other things while killing time waiting on the lawyer. The new siding where I tore the roof off was painted before I left. I forgot to get the camera out again before I left.

I usually enjoy being there even if it is too work on the house. This trip was a big NOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Love to have a old farm house to fix up.yours has alot of potential.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the library and found the building on a map of 1874. That was the oldest map they had. Maybe in time I can find out how old the place it. I think the main part started out as a barn. It has been added on to at least three times. I guess as the family got bigger the house got bigger. Much of the add ons were used lumber. Most of it is rough cut.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I went to the library and found the building on a map of 1874. That was the oldest map they had. Maybe in time I can find out how old the place it. I think the main part started out as a barn. It has been added on to at least three times. I guess as the family got bigger the house got bigger. Much of the add ons were used lumber. Most of it is rough cut.
Ask the local historical society. Or go to your local library and look through issues of the local newspaper from before 1874. A new building, be it a house, barn, etc, was big news in a lot of small towns back then.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been up there since 10/14. Can't seem to get away since my wife was killed. I need to sell the place. It is an unwanted project now.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was 10/13 last time I was up there. It was broken into twice about 6 weeks ago. The doors are now boarded up. I'm trying to dump the place at $10,000 and no takers. I'm afraid someone will get hurt there and sue me.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,018 Posts
Around here, 1.3 acres is worth quite a chunk of cash. Do you think the property alone would be worth more without the house? Perhaps the demo charge could be compensated for if the property value went up a considerable amount.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the lot is assessed at $15,000. The house is worth fixing. It is mostly rough cut lumber. I jacked and leveled most of it.

It was a project of my wife's and mine. I don't want it any more. I stayed there 4 to 6 weeks at a time. If someone wanted a house to live on the second floor and make the first floor into an apartment it can be done. I can't do the lifting needed any more. We were going to have our appartment on the second floor when we visited.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts