My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2003 GT235 w/ 287 hours. 18hp Kawasaki v-twin and a 48c deck. We are closing on our first house in August and will have 2 acres to tend. I think this will do everything we need. I did a ton of reading on here before I made the purchase and it looked like this should be a good reliable machine.

I ordered a couple wheel bearings for the front. One of the wheels has some play in it. Then I found a nail in the rear tire I will need to patch. Other than that the PO changed the oil every season with <50 hours. He was a salesman for a JD dealer previously. It looks like he took really good care of this.

One question, this is my first and I've never had a hydro. Do they normally make some noise just driving around?

Anyway on to the pics:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Wow that is a clean GT235. I would take the pulley covers off of the deck and clean the grass out to prevent rust.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Nice GT!! Now you need a garden to play with it!!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
That is nice. I little hydro noise is normal. You will like it.

First House = 2 acres. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
You bought a Nice John Deere Garden tractor

Attachments are still very avaliable for it from Deere:
30inch Mechanical tiller
42 or 48inch front dozer blade Understanding that your in FL
42,48 or 54inch deck
Powerflow Bagger
Front mounted thatcher
Intergral(sleeve Hitch)Hitch

Aftermarket attachments:

http://johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Jr_John-Deere-GTLX.htm

And if you like to mulch and don't want to invest in a JD mulching Kit I suggest Gator Blade's
Here is the oregon part number for Blade that will fit your Deck 90-348
http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/pdfs/2010_OregonBladesLookUpByMfg.pdf

BTW Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice tractor! :thThumbsU

Best of luck with your new house!:trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and you have a great looking tractor. slkpk

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats and Welcome:MTF_wel:

·
Super Moderator
35,942 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yes, the PO took very good care of that machine! You're lucky to have one in that good of shape, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Never found a totally silent hydrostatic tranny yet! Shouldn't be loud though!

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Great find. You say he changed the oil every season, did he mention if he ever changed the fluid in the hydro? It's recommended at 250 hours. It may just be a trick of the lighting, but it looks like in the pic of the rear that the level is low in the hydro. Old fluid and low could cause excessive noise from the unit.

Changing it is easy - you'll need a gallon and a quart of HyGard low viscosity oil from Deere, a 14mm socket, and a 3/8" drive ratchet. There are two golden colored 14mm bolts on the bottom of the unit - the rear one drains the transaxle side, the front one drains the hydro side. Once all of the oil is done dripping from those holes (don't forget to loosen the two fill caps on the top first before you drain) put the bolts back in - but be careful - the hardened bolts will strip the threads in the aluminum housing very easily (DAMHIKT).

But wait - there's more! Now, this next step is optional, but I did it simply for piece of mind. Jack the tractor up so it's tilted forwards (i.e., front wheels lower than rear). Then take that 3/8" drive ratchet I mentioned and take out that big plastic piece on the front of the hydro. Another cup or so of fluid will plop out, so have your waste oil pan handy. Let it set like that over night so it all drips out.

Put the plastic cap back on - not too tight, or you'll mangle the little notch the ratchet fits in - and lower it back to the ground. JD says to fill each side individually, but if you take the orange cap off the transaxle side, and pour the oil into the resevoir, it will eventually percolate it's way over to the trans side. This may take a bit longer, but I had virtually no air in the unit after I filled it this way. When you can see the oil on the trans side approching the top of the filler hole, put that cap back on, then finish filling to the full line in the resevoir.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. It can't hurt to change the hydro fluid, so I'll pick some up when I get the front bearings.

I need to check the blades and possibly replace them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
WOW that is one clean GT! Best of luck with it. It is a strong machine for sure:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats on the GT and new house! That is one well cared for machine.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Yes it will.......... Do what you need... easily :fing32:

Yes it does........ make noise, mostly a whine just not as sweet and unique as a 318's :trink40:

Should be a cold and hot mark on the container. If your not experienced let the dealer mess with the Hydro. :Stop:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts