My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, daughter, and I went to the orchard for some Honeycrisp apples this weekend for our pies. We go every year and have lots of fun. They have a giant slide, corn pool, petting zoo, hayrack rides, corn maze, pumpkin patch, etc. Lots to do. They are located east of Cambridge Ia off of Hwy 210. Here are some pics for you. Most of the pics I took were the old equipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Looks like a great day! The corn pool is funny, and it looks like someone was having fun with it. :) I love that some of these old farms have learned to invite the public into their property to see and enjoy what their life and work is like. There are many vinyards and orchards here where I live, that have done the same, and enjoy a good business this time of year. The farm you visited is beautiful!

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We love it every year. A buddy I hung out with back in high school works here part time and told us about it years back. Every year it gets better too. They even have big grills going and a large outdoor seating area for eating. They also have a giant air pillow to let kids and adults jump on. Its about 30'x50' in size. The best apples around here to get too. We always get the big bags of their Honeycrisp apples to make apple pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They will keep in a fridge for 4 or 5 months easy. Best pie I ever tasted when we started to use em. Next year I will try to take the video camera and get vids for ya'll. It is a really neat place to go and kids learn alot about farm life if they are from the city. I love looking at all the old tractors and horse drawn equipment.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Nice gathering , and out on a farm gawking at tillage equipment and tractors is sure fun. Thanks for sharing.

·
Joe
1,223 Posts
"I love that some of these old farms have learned to invite the public into their property to see and enjoy what their life and work is like."

Yeh. Too bad that lots of farmers have had to resort to these operations too, to make ends meet after all the gub'mint regulations and etc. Small farmers are VERY quickly becoming history. I grew up on a small farm and most of the neighbors were of the same sentiment. Now they're all gone. I dunno.........Guess I'm just rambling on here.
Joe

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right on this. A lot of farmers in this area do things like this now. The farm I worked for has cut all of the full time help and I have yet to do anything out there for work. It has slowed down a lot. The family that does this also has a farm over by Ames Ia and they call it BLACK'S HERITAGE FARM and they rent out garden space for people. It is a shame the gov has taken control of the small farms and put most of them under. My grandfathers farm had the same thing happen when I was a small boy.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
There's a similar thing here where we live outside of town a bit. We enjoy it, so do the farmers and city folk alike. Kinda sponsored by the milk industry I hear - imagine that here in WI :hug:.

I had a picture of the acres of cars somewhere, but you'll have to imagine a lot of cars and happy folks getting rides on hay wagons to the food tents in the morning.

Pretty neat. :fing32:

Attachments

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MMMMMMM! Now I am hungry! Gonna go make some hot cakes and eggs now! Nothin like breakfast for dinner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts