My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have our cat, Harriet's, front claws removed. She was causing a bit of a problem in the house when she was frisky, clawing a bit on the rug and couch. It wasn't a regular thing like some cats will do, just sharpening or working their claws, just when she was playing. She's a house kitty now and doesn't need them for protection or survival outside anymore. Well, she went in on Monday night, as she had to be there Tuesday a.m. for the procedure. It was done with laser and was supposed to be very easy and not too painful. I really didn't want to have it done, but I knew that she was causing a bit of damage to the house and it was necessary.

My wife went in to pick her up today and it seems as tho she had woken up during the night and dug on her cage and caused some problems with her paws where she had her surgery. She bled quite a bit and was in a lot of pain. The vet kept her another day (she's going to be able to come home tomorrow, I hope) for observation and pain relief. It really made me feel bad for having taken her in. I can only imagine how abandoned a pet feels when you take them to the vets and leave them and how frightened they must be. Just kind of breaks your heart thinking about it.

Oh, well, just wanted to share my story a bit with friends here at MTF in the pet section. She should be home tomorrow and on the road to recovery. A week from now she'll be her old self, having forgotten the ordeal, but it still makes you feel bad for having this done. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Sorry to hear that Brad. Yeah, it's not easy leaving them at the vet's or anywhere. Hope she can come home tomorrow !

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
My wife has three cats and it is funny to see them scratch their front paws on the furniture etc. when they don't even have any claws! They sure can do a lot of damage with the claws. She will be fine soon. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Hope he gets better and back home tomorrow.

Had to take Sparky in Monday, he got bit, I don't know who but assume it was another cat although I did see a possum the other night. Sparky - Looks like Slyvester - 15 lbs of muscle a hunter so maybe it was the possum.
He doesn't like the pet carrier but he was very good with the vet.. I had to leave for 2 minutes to get the checkbook out of the car and they said he howled and cried the whole time I was gone. He's sitting on the back porch now keeping an eye on things.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
After enduring the self-removal of 2 of my own "claws" on my right hand, I simply can not imagine what a cat must go throgh losing 8 or 10! It's been 20years and I still feel it in the bones when it rains. I cat proofed my house so I don't have to houseproof my cats. I felt it was my duty as a responsible cat keeper.

Sorry if my logic is flawed and possibly offensive.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It should work out Brad for your kitty.We have always had our cats declawed and they don't seem to miss them.Our newest one we got when a kitten has all his claws!I trained him real early in life to use a scratching post and we now have two posts in the house that he uses all the time ,leaving everything else alone.Some say cats feel the pain of the claws gone and others say no pain after.I really love my cats and really wanted to give it a try without declawing!I'm glad it seemed to work out.My wife love cats too but if a kitty really started to do a job on the furniture then the front claws would have to go.I think the laser procedure is pretty new and been stated as less painfull for the kitty during and after than the older way of breaking the cats knuckles.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Both of my indoor cats claw the furniture and woodwork,but so far the damage has been minimal,excepting the bay window they love to sun themselves in,the wood looks like a cougar sharpened his claws on it,after many years of them and other previous cats carving it up..
I only wish that was my only "cat problem"...

I was rudely awoken at 7 am today by the sound of my older male cat
"Kit-Kat" PEEING on an old sleeping bag I had spread out on my floor in the bedroom!...I had an old 13" TV set on the sleeping bag,and he evidently thought that looked close enough to a litter box,and backed up to it,and let'r rip..:( ..
Looks like today wasn't the first time either,I didn't smell it till this morning though,the down filling must have soaked it up good--had to trash it,thankfully the rug under it was dry..GD CAT!..

I've noticed he's been drinking a lot of water,and tends to play in the water bowl more than usual lately..and when he pees,its a lot of urine,but not yellow or cloudy like my other previous cat that had a urinary tract infection ,and one that ended up with diabetes..he doesn't "yowl" when uruinating,like a sick cat often does,and seems perfectly normal otherwise,has a good appetite and isn't making frequent trips to the litter box (hope he has not been using any other places in the house,I kind of doubt it,he sleeps in the room I'm in close to me 95% of the time)..

I just hope this isn't a sign of an illness or a bad habit he's going to continue..the litter box WAS pretty dirty,I hadn't cleaned it since Sunday or Monday,and he did jump in it and peed,almost before I could even fill the darn thing after I cleaned it this morning..maybe I'd better set up another one downstairs,but I hate having one in my room,bad enough he peed in there and it stinks,I dont need no cat poop smell to go with it..maybe I can put one in the laundry room..

I love animals,but not when they start losing bladder and bowel control..
Once they start doing that,its usually not long before they are on their way out..:(
I dread having to bring either of them to the vet for that one "last visit",when they dont come back home with you..that day is probably coming all too soon,I am afraid..:(....living in a house that stinks sucks too though..I hate getting so attached to an animal,then have to face its demise..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Declawing cats? Ouch, very cruel, the same as removing half of your finger.
That is illegal is most European countries, for many reasons.

If you get another cat, please consider the alternatives, such as scratching posts, trimming their claws every few weeks, training them only to use a scratching post.

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, she's home and doing much better. Didn't really like the idea, but she's an indoor cat now, and was about a year old when we brought her in. We had her neutered and that didn't bother her a bit. Just glad she's getting to be her old self again.

We have 3 boy cats, and they don't miss anything about the neutering part. Could care less...

·
Registered
652 Posts
My local Vet, who MAKES MONEY if she declaws cats, recommends vehemently against it unless no other recourse seems to open. I've be without cats for several years, and just recently got one that was a stray to some other folks. She is VERY outspoken, and "likes" to get her claws out quickly, and seems to find nothing wrong with pawing me in the face in the morning--claws extended.

She would get up off the bed or carpet, and actually stumble--she seemed to have trouble retracting them.

A routine trip to the vet for examination, shots, and advice, resulted in their simply being trimmed---and I can tell you that she's a completely different person.

No declawing for me, except in extreme cases.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Actually learning to trim a cat's nails isn't that difficult... IF you get started when they are kittens, choose the right tool, stay calm:) and keep at it regularly, every 10 days or so in the beginning. They might not actually NEED the trimming that often but you and kitty need to keep the ritual going so neither of you forget what's going on.

Some older cats will relax and purr when getting trimmed (they love the attention and "rewards/treats")... and some will become a "2 Man Job" but bribery (food treats) works well with most hard cases. Patience, patience, patience doing anything where cats are concerned. Remember, they ain't dogs and that's why we love them so much.:D

Tractor-Holic.... Indoor cats have specific needs for toilet facilities, in a word SUPER CLEAN! The cat goes in a litter box for a reason, to instinctively hide it's urine and feces from preditors in the wild and his and our noses in the home:D and to allow that cat box to become filthy and then blame the cat for not using it.... Need I say more! If you suspect some illness visit the vet, you owe it to your pets that depend on your good common sense where their health is concerned.

The new clumping litters like "Tidy Cat Scoop" or "Kitty Kleen" scoopable litters, while a bit more expensive than regular clay litter have a good deal more ability to decrease odor. With enough litter in the box, 4" or so, the entire amound of clumped urine/clay can be removed easily DAILY with a slotted scoop and a bit more clean litter added. In the long run the litter costs even out as the need to clean up accident areas and buy new sleeping bags, couches, rugs, shoes, etc. decrease.:)

I have always had multiple cats, usually 3-5 at a time and I "invented" this catbox "system":) to keep one from "going over the side" all the time. Shadow has always been a tiptoes pee-er and all the usual store bought boxes were too shallow. I tried plastic "bins", most were too high. I don't like the "hooded" boxes as it's too hard to capture a sample when urinary illness is suspected... I came up with this box using plastic mortar tubs and it's perfect so far (10 years).

The pics are self explanitory except for joining the top to the bottom. I use clear packing tape (ANY suggestions on a better/easier seal are welcome!) all the way around the inside to contain any whizz that runs down the inside. If you don't seal the seam you get "leakage" which is the same as no top at all...

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very good points, Hydro. Usually, if you have a cat that goes somewhere other than the litter box, you don't have a dirty cat. You have a very clean cat, dirty litter box, and lazy owner. Sometimes 2 litter boxes are in order. We clean the litter box in the morning. It's funny to watch when cleaning. You get in there and start cleaning and here comes Harriet. She has to go, and can hardly wait until she has a clean litter box to go in. (Maybe it's the male/female/you left the seat up you lazy feline thing going on there.)

I like your setup there. We use a taller Rubbermaid or Sterilite plastic box, probably 14-16 inches high. They have no problem getting in there, and usually don't "miss". Of course, we don't have a tip-toe'er, either.

I saw a new thing out the other day. It is a cat box that hooks up to a dryer vent type assy, with a small fan on the top that runs for a few minutes after kitty gets done in the "library".

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
wow we could really use a 'cat vent' apparently our cat has irratible bowel syndrome :ROF (really)

man can she stink the place out...

glad your cat is declawed and doing ok brad...

·
Registered
402 Posts
my wife (we) have a male bengal,he answers to his name and will come when called, very comical and a bit noisy when he wants out.christmas day some kid shot him in the side with a pellet rifle,the pellet hit a rib so it didn`t penetrate too deep.I glad I didn`t see it when it happened,I may have put that pellet gun where the sun don`t shine.we have an inground fence and the cat wears a shock collar so he had to shoot it in my yard.the vet removed the pellet $125. bucks.I never found out who did this but all the pellet guns disappeared.Geno

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
We have a female cat that claws holes in the furniture and urinates on almost anything left lying on the floor. I am running out of patients trying to teach this cat not to do these things. My girlfriend will not let me take the cat in to get her declawed. :banghead3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts