My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Little Green Giant has been running like a champ. Much easier to muck out the sheep barn with the bucket and blade. This weekend I started smelling electrical, shut her down and traced the smell to the insulation melting off a couple of wires lying on top of the starter. Hadn't started the tractor for over 30 minutes but that thing was hot enough to burn my fingers. Disconnected the battery and removed the starter. Took it to the local auto electrical wizard and waited for his verdict.

Verdict's in. Not the starter that came with the tractor, many unwise modifications, one that lead to the problem. His advice, get a new starter.

Went looking and was gobsmacked to see a price of $295 for a starter to turn over a little 2 banger. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Is there a secret treasure buried in the starter motor? Will this special motor clear up acne and freshen my breath?

Anyhow a little advice from you experienced Yanmar owners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hey I.M.F.,

Who did you check with?

I'm thinking that "Tractor Ernie" (in WA.) is the closest and should have a line on new or rebuilt starters. It is too bad that you don't have a useful core...

You might want to call him and see what he has in his inventory. Here's a link to him: http://www.ernies.net/ Phone: (503) 829-9170 .

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I.M.F.,

Who did you check with?

I'm thinking that "Tractor Ernie" (in WA.) is the closest and should have a line on new or rebuilt starters. It is too bad that you don't have a useful core...

You might want to call him and see what he has in his inventory. Here's a link to him: http://www.ernies.net/ Phone: (503) 829-9170 .

Mark
Called Ernie (in OR, but that's pretty close) and he only traffics in the newer Yanmars. Nice looking used machines, if I had to do it over again I think I would have headed down his way for my machine.

He sent me to Hoye, they're ready to give me a heck of a deal, normally $537.83 marked down to a bargain $329.08. I'm continuing on the hunt, my electric guy is a big fan of Nippondenso starters so I'm working on tracking one of those down.

Any other suggests will be gladly accepted.:thanku:

·
Registered
271 Posts
By the time you pay the core charge (if you don't have a rebuildable core to exchange), a rebuilt price is no bargain.

SM-146N - New Starter motor – 12v – 15 tooth drive Repl. 124450-77010 & Hitachi S114-146

Suggestion: email us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinkin' LMTC has the same starter for less money as I've noticed his parts prices are considerably lower than most everyone.
I shot an email off to him pronto. Hope to hear back soon because I've got a price at yanmartractorparts.net for a cts-146 at about $190 including shipping.

Got to get the little beasty going again or Mama's going to have me back in the sheep barn with a rake, shovel and wheelbarrow. :crybaby:

·
Registered
271 Posts
You might want to ask where that starter is made. Ours is made in Germany. Some parts we buy from China are fine, but starters are not one of them. I'm not implying anything, as I don't know where that starter comes from....but you might want to check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to ask where that starter is made. Ours is made in Germany. Some parts we buy from China are fine, but starters are not one of them. I'm not implying anything, as I don't know where that starter comes from....but you might want to check.
I was thinking along the same lines, that's why I posted the website and the price. Kinda' hoping somebody would have a little information to share with me about that, thanks.

So tomorrow I'll call and if the starter is from China, then you and I will do some business.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been watching to hear where that starter came from. If you bought it and it works out well (esp. long term) I'd love to hear that...always willing to look for a less expensive supply, and at the price that was selling for, it is definitely being bought for less than what I'm paying now. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been watching to hear where that starter came from. If you bought it and it works out well (esp. long term) I'd love to hear that...always willing to look for a less expensive supply, and at the price that was selling for, it is definitely being bought for less than what I'm paying now. Thanks.
Little busy here with harvest and all, the $169 starter is from Brazil and his other starter is made in Germany for a little less than you mentioned in your email.

It was easy to place an order online with him so I bought the German made starter. Things get pretty cold up here so a more efficient starter is a good investment.

Thanks for your response and I'll definitely be in touch when I need any parts for the machine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the information. If you don't mind emailing me again, was his core charge, etc. the same? I need to make $$ obviously, but I also know I need to be competitive. If it turns out I'm not, I need to figure out why.

Another factor is that if you spend $50 or more on parts with us we will give (by email) you a pdf of the original parts manual, and future discounts on high dollar parts. Mark can attest to how incredibly useful this manual is. We sell it for $35 otherwise, though we also give it to our tractor customers. I am not aware of any other dealer who does this (probably are some, I just don't know about it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts