My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a thread I read a while back, someone inquired as to the origins of the "Weed Eater" line of trimmers. I just so happen to possess one of the first ones made. My dad bought it new in the mid 70's and had to wait for delivery because of the demand at the time. It came with the four string head and a 3 lobe metal brush blade. At the time it was considered a "Marvel of Engineering" as it was so "light".

My how times have changed. This thing still runs as well as it did new, but it hangs in the shop as I can no longer pack the heavy sucker around without destroying my back.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Heheh, light you say? Looks like a lawnmower engine or a hole auger on a shaft ;)

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
yeah my DR string wacker has the same HP! my god man! how can you keep the fron from going up on you? and that weedy thing looks creepy...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had on of them too. But mine was a tad newer (plstic tank) I made my boys a small go-cart with the engine.:fing32:

I still have the stringer head around here somewhere. Ain't that thing wild?

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Nice!! There is a recoil for one of those on Ebay right now complete with the Weedy decal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My boss has one just like it at work. It hasnt been used in 10 years and it is heavy as can be. It is supposed to have a shoulder strap with a cushion on it so your shoulder actually holds the weight. You just swing it around with your arms.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Wow!! Impressive. :) Thanks for sharing this with us.

On a thread I read a while back, someone inquired as to the origins of the "Weed Eater" line of trimmers. I just so happen to possess one of the first ones made. My dad bought it new in the mid 70's and had to wait for delivery because of the demand at the time. It came with the four string head and a 3 lobe metal brush blade. At the time it was considered a "Marvel of Engineering" as it was so "light".

My how times have changed. This thing still runs as well as it did new, but it hangs in the shop as I can no longer pack the heavy sucker around without destroying my back.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know this thread is reaaaallly old, but I have a question.

I just acquired one of these crazy weedeaters. Just like this one but mine has yellow paint.

I need to find a carb kit, or if nothing else, just a pump diaphram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
283 Posts
I know this thread is reaaaallly old, but I have a question.

I just acquired one of these crazy weedeaters. Just like this one but mine has yellow paint.

I need to find a carb kit, or if nothing else, just a pump diaphram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If finding parts to purchase is problematic sometimes diaphragms can be made. Some bearing, rubber and hydraulic industrial supplies sometimes keep material around but if that fails diaphragm material of varying thickness is common in pressure regulators. One just needs to be certain the material is gas rated.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If finding parts to purchase is problematic sometimes diaphragms can be made. Some bearing, rubber and hydraulic industrial supplies sometimes keep material around but if that fails diaphragm material of varying thickness is common in pressure regulators. One just needs to be certain the material is gas rated.
I dont really like the sound of that, LOL!

Im crossing my fingers on finding a kit or diaphragm.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Are there any names or numbers on the carb? You may want to stop by a small engine shop that has been in business for a long time, chances are they will know what you need or even have it in stock. Also, that picture of the Weedy recoil is now the screen saver on my phone.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks, Ill look up that carb. I do have an old mower repair man in town, maybe Ill run by there Friday. Ill keep you posted!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks, Ill look up that carb. I do have an old mower repair man in town, maybe Ill run by there Friday. Ill keep you posted!
Great! The link I posted is not the best price-try Amazon, they are about 8 or 9 dollars there. I love my tec 2 stroke. Mine has a bolt on cylinder head (6 bolts) which make decarboning very simple.

I actually found a spare muffler for it at a local shop, dusty and forgotten on a back shelf. They gave it to me!

I now use the auger for landscaping -8" for digging holes to plant, and the 2" auger for fencing or planting bulbs. Any excuse to use the auger is a good day. :bannana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts