My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would an original CC with the belt drive be worth? Complete with deck, but hasn't ran in 30 or so years. I has also been stored inside for those 30 years.

I don't have any pictures, not have a seen it in person, but know where it is and that it is probably for sale.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depends what kind of condition its in, if the thing looks new and runs fine I'd say it would be worth $500. If there's surface rust or parts are worn and it runs $300. It really depends on the condition and if it runs or not. It's a nearly 50 year old tractor so it depends how it was used the first 20 years of its life. Prices also vary in different parts of the country.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm sure it ran good when parked. This guy took good care of things. I doubt it has to much rust.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd like to see what other members think though, I've never owned an original so those are just educated guesses.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
pics will help... could be as high as 800 to a collector depending on operation and condition

·
Registered
92 Posts
who knows..but original fenders with intact reflectors are very wanted items by many...cub sold a tons of CC's originals...as time went on cub sold thousands upon thousands of later model....so value is hard to determine..rest assured with intact fenders its worth more in parts..i dont agree with it but look at ebay..parts is where the money is at

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably buy to restore. If for no other reason - to keep from being parted out.

·
Lawnboy
93 Posts
The price depends on how much it means to the owner, if it's just been sitting for years, you might get a deal, mine set for six yrs. without running, I put a battery in it and some gas, it started like it had just been running, I've had mine several years, I have a man wanting it for 650 but I'm not sure yet if I'm ready to sell.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a very original. According to the ser# it was made about the middle of the third month of production of the O's. No deck and I short blocked it years ago with the same size Kohler. Hasn't run in years either but it has been covered and the gas was drained when put up..

I may part it out since no one wants one without a deck..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Something I feel I need to bring up. I see some confusion whenever there is discussion about an original. Actually it was just called cub cadet. It was nicknamed "original". I never saw a cub cadet with fenders as original equipment. If a cub cadet has fenders someone put 70 fenders on it. The model 70 replaced the cub cadet sometime in 1963..

Like I said in another post my cub cadet, AKA original, was made very early in 1960..No fenders..I bought it from the original purchaser in 1983.. I was in the military when it was made. Didn't have need for a GT til I retired in 82..

I also have a 104, 1200, 1250 and a GT2542..

·
Registered
160 Posts
From wikipedia: "Round fenders, headlights, and a creeper gear are all examples of optional equipment for the Original Cub Cadet."

·
Registered
443 Posts
From wikipedia: "Round fenders, headlights, and a creeper gear are all examples of optional equipment for the Original Cub Cadet."
I don't play wiki or gotcha. I will repeat what I wrote. "I never saw a cub cadet with fenders as original equipment." (place emphasis on "I and original equipment " I am however guilty of using original instead of standard. I will do penance and strive to be more careful in my choice of words...):trink39:

thank you.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
mmzulio is correct.
The Cub Cadet series one or Cub Cadet 1st model was made for general sale to the public from January 1961 to august 1963. There were 10 preproduction models went out with out the optional fenders. As a Kid I got to see most IH cub cadet models before they were put into production starting with series 4 I was about 3years old then Because I was Born during series 2. A friend and Neighbor of mine when I was a Kid was the Late Donald Stevenson. The test engineer for IH Cub Cadet He tested most model's on his own yard before they were put into production. The earliest model I can remember was a 104 with out the 104 decals on it. The fender's were avaliable during the whole production run of the series 1 Cub Cadet as a optional extra. The same optional fenders were avaliable for the 70 and 100 model. I even have Mr stevensons own non production experimental 60 RER . It has a few design features that differ from the production models. The 70 & 100's did not come from the factory either with fenders or headlights. That was still a optional extra. I also own a 70 that does not have a seperate PTO lever the PTO for my 70 you engage on the mowing deck or implement itself like the Original Model Cub Cadet Series 1. You will notice the foot lever on the deck

:thThumbsU

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have some great peices of history straight from the engineer. So Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Your Welcome:thThumbsU BTW I sent you a PM with some info

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea..thanks for the info on the fenders..i have still seen those fetch some good money as parts though...i still like IH..but have never forgiven old man mcCormick..IH had a minivan design that could have saved the light truck line (aka scout)..mccormick canned the project so guess where they all went..thats right chrysler...if you ever even look at an early 80's ford bronco can you see the resemblance to a scout..its there..oh well..tons of good info about the fenders and thanks for setting the record straight

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Which Mccormick are you talking about Cyrus sr dies in 1884. Cyrus H. McCormick, Jr., died in 1936. then Harold the younger brother died in 1941 Then there was Brooks McCormick Great grnad nephew he was CEO from 71 to 78 Then they had Archie McCardell who help kill IH along with the UAW. Brooks Mccormick left several years before the Scout was taken off the market after McCardell IH was run by Louis W. Menk & Warren J. Hayford Untill 1985

·
Registered
92 Posts
Which Mccormick are you talking about Cyrus sr dies in 1884. Cyrus H. McCormick, Jr., died in 1936. then Harold the younger brother died in 1941 Then there was Brooks McCormick Great grnad nephew he was CEO from 71 to 78 Then they had Archie McCardell who help kill IH along with the UAW. Brooks Mccormick left several years before the Scout was taken off the market after McCardell IH was run by Louis W. Menk & Warren J. Hayford Untill 1985
Brooks the nephew...the uaw strike in 1979?..really ended IH as it cost IH something like 500million..i wont give a position on uaw or managment but both sides are to blame for the demise of the light truck line and the cub cadet line (like striking during recession of 79)..brooks was around in 75 (may have been even earlier) when IH had a team working on a minivan type vehicle utilizing the scout..brooks shut it down and all the engineers took there design right to detroit...the chyrysler minivan is a direct result of this..what could have been for IH..not to mention the scout had the SUV market in a way jeep could not..scout had dana 44 differentials and what did jeep have?..the junk amc 20 and quadratrash xfer case (in 1986 jeep finally went with dana 44's due to shortage of the amc 20 trash)...and by 1978 IH had FINALLY started working on the scout rust issue...and lets no forget the scout SS2 which IH had not blundered up..oh well..history now but lessons are everywhere at IH on how not to mess it up (which they did)

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doesn't almost every auto or tractor company have a story like that where something was messed up and dind sight is 20-20.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts