My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the organic products everyone has used on their gardens or truck patches that really seem to have done the job? My two best products are Planters II and Neptune's Harvest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The two products i like best are composted cow manure and hay; both free and work every time. Eventually lime will be added to that list, as i have heard good results come from this simple natural ingredient.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
My first thought was poop. Around here hay ain't free. Even spoiled hay is used by landscapers and roadside restoration. Lime shouldn't be added indiscriminately, only if your soil is too acidic.
The first thing to do is have your soil tested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used Netune's Harvest before and it is a really good product, although quite costly.

For the cheap route, Manure, cow, horse, chicken, rabbit, just be sure it's composted well before planting so you don't burn the plants. Leaves make a wonderful compost once decayed. Grass clippings, Hay as mentioned, wheat straw, and something I try to do to the garden once a year, plant a green manure. In the summer I will grow a crop or two of Buckwheat and turn it just before it goes to seed. In the fall to over winter I used annual ryegrass. Then turn it in the spring. The only issue I've ran into with that is getting the ground worked if we have a really wet spring. Usually I will do the rye in 20' strips so I have plenty of room for planting while I'm working up the rye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts