My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Oregon PowerSharp system? It uses a special chain that sharpens on the top surface with a stone mounted on a contraption that clamps on the proprietary bar. You clamp on the sharpener, fire up the saw and press the tip against a fixed object. 3 to 5 seconds and the chain is sharp. Supposedly cuts the depth gauges at the same time.

·
Sears tinkerer
94 Posts
Some. I bought my FIL and BIL one for Christmas. I put BIL's on his saw for him and got it up and running. With my very limited use it seems to cut very well and the reviews I read on line about it before I bought them say the same kind of things.

You have to be very careful handling the chain when you are putting it on because the cutting surface is the top and its easy to nick yourself.

They haven't really been used enought to need the sharpening stone yet but I like the way the out of the box chain cut, and the speed of sharpening is about right for folks like my BIL who are short on patience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a member of several sites involving chainsaws and on one site a Oregon Rep sent a member a Power Sharp setup for testing, there was a pretty long thread about it. The final word was the chain will cut it's best fresh out of the box, it loses some performance after the first sharpening. This system is best for a home owner just doing basic trimming and firewood cutting.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Roanoker heard what my buddy told he.. He cuts wood for his fire pit.. maybe 1/3 a cord a year.. works great for him. He told me to stick to my round and flat file for all i cut. He figures it would be a waste of my time and money.. being i pack a spare bar and a chain with me..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.