My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yard is just under 3.5 acres, side hills and up and down and turf tires were frustrating. Today I said, "ENOUGH" and went online shopping. I'd read posts about folks upgrading rear tires using ATV or 4 wheeler tires and investigated. Problem with those is they're about twice the price of a traditional bar type tractor tire. I have a 20 year old GT 5000 which I put the traditional tractor tires on when I first got it. It's great for mowing, etc. So ordered these. Just sharing.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Did you get tubes also or are you going tubeless? I thought Carlisle had the whole market wrapped up. Never knew there were so many choices. Seems like a pretty penny for such small tires.
tom

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have used the ATV style tyres on the tractors I've had over the last five years since the turf style simply do not work in my yard. Turf tyres are for dry and level grass and pavement areas. I look at it this way: the ATV style tyres provide traction where the turf style don't. The ATV style may be more expensive, but they work. Much rather be moving somewhere than spinning the tyres in place.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if the ATV tires are more expensive as they're "high speed?" I agree turf tires are good for those that have level golf course type lawns where they're concerned with damaging grass. Anything else, they're useless.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
They are somewhat more expensive since the compounds that make up the tyres are different than the turf ones. Generally, ATV style tyres are softer so that they grip whatever they are rolling over. Not only the usually more pronounced tread, but the entire body, as well. I don't think "speed" is as much a factor as traction is. While ATV's do move quickly it's usually not over rough terrain.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flaken, just noticed, " While ATV's do move quickly it's usually not over rough terrain." ATV does stand for All Terrain Vehicle? I wanted traction at the lowest cost, which I got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts