My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently have a JD LX178 that I bought new back in 1998 which still runs good, although slow starting. I keep the oil changed and take care of it the best I can. Not a lot wrong with it, but yesterday the tie rod came loose, the ball separated from the socket but I got it back together and while sharpening the blades I did see a dime size hole in the top of the deck. I took it in a year or two ago for a spring tune up, oil change, etc. where they did find some other things that was needed to be done which totaled around $600.00. I have been thinking about a new one and with the sale going on right now I am looking at the S240 or the X330. I keep reading and hearing how people are not happy with the Briggs and Stratton engine or the rear end that JD puts in these models. I only cut 1/2 acre with very very slight hills. I used the 178 for pushing snow also but I am tired of putting the chains and the blade on every year so I am not going to do that with the new one. I have no problem spending a little more to get a better product but do not want to buy more than I need. So I am just wondering what your opinions are on this. Fix the 178, and runner till she quits, or maybe you could help me pick a model that would work best for me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I would fix the old one, but I am a tightwad. Both the tie rod and a little hole are both easy fixes. I am sure you could do those yourself. You could also buy a new one for grass and keep that one set up for snow duty, depends how much room you have.
I guess it depends on you and if you want something new and have the money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would fix the old one, but I am a tightwad. Both the tie rod and a little hole are both easy fixes. I am sure you could do those yourself. You could also buy a new one for grass and keep that one set up for snow duty, depends how much room you have.
I guess it depends on you and if you want something new and have the money.
Thats a great idea if I only had the room. I am sure I can fix it, what holds the ball in the socket anyway? They don't build them like they use too is what I keep reading. Thanks poncho62!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You got 20 years out of the LX 188, at some point it’s wise to stop throwing money into an obsolete machine. the s240 or X330 will do the job for you. JD is running 300 bucks off the 300 series if you buy before end of April. Personally I’d look into X370 - k57 and power steering- a nice option to have. Plus if size is a factor it comes with 42 inch deck. Or the X380, comes with k58 tranny (similar but a little better than K61 you have in Lx188) Any of the tractors I listed will be nice upgrade from what you are currently using. Talk to dealer about trading in your current Lx188- to lower your cost

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got 20 years out of the LX 188, at some point it’s wise to stop throwing money into an obsolete machine. the s240 or X330 will do the job for you. JD is running 300 bucks off the 300 series if you buy before end of April. Personally I’d look into X370 - k57 and power steering- a nice option to have. Plus if size is a factor it comes with 42 inch deck. Or the X380, comes with k58 tranny (similar but a little better than K61 you have in Lx188) Any of the tractors I listed will be nice upgrade from what you are currently using. Talk to dealer about trading in your current Lx188- to lower your cost
Thanks for the advice UpstateTony, yes really my LX178 has served me well for the past 21 years and I do understand what you are saying. The wife is telling me the same thing, "what's going to break down on it next?" I got the drag arm off today and will look at getting a new one tomorrow or trade the mower in on a new one. After everything I have been reading about the B&S engines and the K46 tranny I am just a little hesitant. Do you think the X370 or X380 is a little overkill for my size of yard, 1/3rd of an acre?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thanks for the advice UpstateTony, yes really my LX178 has served me well for the past 21 years and I do understand what you are saying. The wife is telling me the same thing, "what's going to break down on it next?" I got the drag arm off today and will look at getting a new one tomorrow or trade the mower in on a new one. After everything I have been reading about the B&S engines and the K46 tranny I am just a little hesitant. Do you think the X370 or X380 is a little overkill for my size of yard, 1/3rd of an acre?

No the X370/380 are direct replacements descendants of your Lx188. Personally I think you're a little better off with X370- you'll love the power steering. It's the type option you think you don’t need till you drive a tractor with power steering. Then you'll never own a tractor without it. Plus it only has a 42 inch deck. BTW as long as you sign for new X3xx series machine before end of April you get the 300 bucks off. Take plenty of pictures of your lx 188 with you and ask dealer about trade in.

I will also say the s240 or X330 will both do job for you. just 370/380 will do it better more comfortably and last longer

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks, I will go take a look tomorrow!
While you’re there, try the X570/X580/X590 and look at any slightly used tractors the dealer might have. Check Craigslist for someone looking to get a bigger tractor too. Tractorhouse.com and MachineryPete.com are good places to find a fair price range. Check other dealers on the internet too. I got my Husqvarna GTH27V52LS after finding it at an implement dealer. Price on the internet was $1750, about $250 less than they had it marked on the lot. It didn’t take much to get it down some, but got the internet price when I presented a printed copy. Had to fix some things the previous owner broke, but the tractor has been nothing but a pleasure and mows better and faster than almost anything I have mowed with. All mowers do NOT mow the same speed. I found other things I did changed my mind about the size of the tractor I wanted. The weight of the tractor was a big factor. My Scotts (Deere) L17.542 42” even pulled my Cyclone Rake for a while, but when full of wet/damp leaves the weight would slide the back of the tractor on a slope. Not a recommended practice if you want to stay safe. The X738 is overkill for my 1/2 acre lot, but snow blowing is so much nicer and the weight of the tractor makes it ride softer and does not slide on a slope with the loaded Cyclone Rake. Did I need a Cyclone Rake? At my age, getting on and off the Scotts so many times in one day made me hurt a lot. I figured spending money to make it hurt less so I could do it longer was a win. By the way, power steering became a must after I bought my X360 that my son-in-law now has. I keep almost everything I buy and use them all at different times.

Drive as many as you can for as long as you can to get the real feel. Even volunteer to mow for someone else just to try their machine. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wouldn't even glance at a S series. They are garbage boxes. I'm not a huge fan of the briggs either. If you go the route of the S series you may as well go to Lowes or Home Depot or local farm store and buy any El Cheapo MTD there and probably be money ahead with essentially the same quality machine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't even glance at a S series. They are garbage boxes. I'm not a huge fan of the briggs either. If you go the route of the S series you may as well go to Lowes or Home Depot or local farm store and buy any El Cheapo MTD there and probably be money ahead with essentially the same quality machine.
Yes, I did read that they were built on the D frames. I am going some where in the 300 series I believe, that price range will work best for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you think the X370 or X380 is a little overkill for my size of yard, 1/3rd of an acre?
Yes, unless you're also doing more work than just mowing. While the bigger machines are nice, for just mowing 1/3 acre they really aren't all that practical and you'll be just as well served by a lawn tractor, especially if you don't have any real hills.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who makes the iTorque engine?
I did a little more reading and I believe the iTorque is made by Kawasaki. That means I would have to buy the X350. I have the Kawasaki Liquid Cooled engine in my LX178 and haven't had much trouble with it. Water pump still under warranty and a fuel leak I fixed myself.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yes, unless you're also doing more work than just mowing. While the bigger machines are nice, for just mowing 1/3 acre they really aren't all that practical and you'll be just as well served by a lawn tractor, especially if you don't have any real hills.

Actually the X370/380 are lawn tractors. Wornslick has had a lx178 for last 21 years- the x370/380 are today's replacements of the LX line –so basically any of the X3xx line is replacement for the Lx178 wornslick brought new 21 years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been happy with my X380 for my 1/2 acre yard (although I am passively looking for a bigger machine, but that's another thread, literally) It does what I ask of it, mow the lawn, run a bagger, pull a cart and core aerator, and maybe a Johnny bucket in the future. I could have gone with an E series or an S240, and have been fine, but wanted the larger transmission and engine. I am still a big believer in the phrase "you get what you pay for"

For comparison, my mother has a 2 acre yard, on a hill, she has a 3 year old Husqvarna YT42LS, that will likely not make it 5 years without some transmission work, this was a $1900 machine new.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just returned home from the dealer and I purchased a X350. The X330 was more in my price range but I wanted the Kawasaki engine so I went with the X350. I also got the Manuel mulching kit installed. They didn't seem to be interested in my trade in, telling me by the time they pay the service department to service it, and the salesman to sell it they wouldn't make much on it. So they gave me a really low trade amount and I decided I will clean it up, put a new drag arm on and sell it myself. Is there someplace I can find out how much it would be worth? I told him that I saw them for sale for anywhere from $500.00 to $1400.00 and his reply was, "but did they sell them at that price?" He said I should ask $500.00 and take the first $400.00 that someone offers. Thoughts?

·
Banker / hobby farmer
620 Posts
List it for $1,000 and see if you get any bites. Go down from there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
List it for $1,000 and see if you get any bites. Go down from there.
I may try that, I am looking for a quick sale though. I don't have the room to store it for long, under a blue tarp in the backyard wouldn't go over for long with the wife! LOL

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Congrats on the X350- you'll love it. The 350 turns much tighter than your old 178 and mows like a dream . Do you mind us asking what you paid for it? And dont forget once it get delivered we want pictures !!!!!

As for selling your LX 178-- you can ask 1,000 and it might go. But you might hold it for awhile. I'd ask 600 bucks and take 1st decent offer over 400 bucks and be done with it

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi, I currently have a JD LX178 ... but yesterday the tie rod came loose, the ball separated from the socket but I got it back together .... Thanks in advance for any advice.
You can buy a replacement ball/socket to replace the one that popped apart for about $10 or less. I did the same thing on a tractor for a friend just last summer. Took longer to go get the part than it did to replace it. You don’t have to replace the whole tie rod. Then the only issue is the hole in the deck which can be welded/patched to make it worth more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts