My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
never too old to learn
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted this as a separate post from the former battery discussion as it is more specific. Does anyone here have experience with Munikind brand, or similar, replacement batteries?

Background: I have some Ryobi 18V ONE+ cordless tools (drill/driver, impact driver, and jigsaw) I use occasionally and am considering purchasing their 7 1/4” saw, and would want to upgrade from my 1.3 Ah batteries to 4.0 or higher. Aftermarket batteries cost much less, but are they going to equal or exceed OEM?

Thanks in advance: I’ll see where this goes and comment back afterwards :eek:)

·
10,508 Posts
I was researching DeWalt 18v replacement batteries this last weekend, down to one good one.
After going thru reviews and topics on knockoffs, I will either buy genuine or just bite the bullet and get a new 20v.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Using a higher amperage battery will allow the tool to perform better and longer, no question of that. I refuse to pay the astronomical prices for the OEM higher amperage batteries and buy the aftermarket ones like you are considering. I did try the cheaper aftermarket ones and the results were poor. I now purchase the mid-range aftermarket ones and find the longevity much better. Best advice is to avoid the really cheap aftermarket ones and shop a bit more than solely looking at price.

I use a variety of 20V Porter-Cable and Black & Decker tools on usually a daily basis. I'm not a contractor, just have all kinds of projects going on forever.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
I would be a little wary of non-oem lithium-ion batteries, as they need good charging controllers to ensure they don't over charge or get too drained, and that's what generally gets skimped on when trying to make a battery of a giving Amp-Hour rating cheaper. And when a lithium-ion battery fails, it tends to be a very hot, hard to put out fire. And you naturally store all the batteries for your tools together, so that makes for a much bigger, hard to put out fire...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I've tried non oem batteries for my Milwaukee and Skil drills and was disappointed in them. They did not hold a charge very long and got very hot when charging. I only use oem batteries now. They may cost more but last longer.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I use a variety of 20V Porter-Cable and Black & Decker tools on usually a daily basis. I'm not a contractor, just have all kinds of projects going on forever.
With some minor mods you can swap batts between the PC and B&D 20v tools. You may already know this. If not, check out youtube

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Sign up for Home Depot , Lowes, Northern Tool and Tractor Supply. Home Depot often has online only specials that include a battery for free. This is what I did when I bought my M18 chainsaw. I got an extra free 12ah MONSTER battery. I was just in the store the other day and the current price on just the batt is about $225. I got 2 batts and the saw for $300 about a year ago. I then lucked into a well used drill and impact driver for $10 each on FB [ and within 2 miles of the house - amazing !].

Also, around my area there are LOTS of new cordless tools on CL and FB. I bought a Ryobi 18v lithium 1/2" impact, 1.5 ah batt and charger for $55. It was in new condition with just some out of the box storage bumps. No warranty of course but the price was worth it. Much of the stuff on CL and FB is overpriced imo. The warranty is worth a lot imo. I would not pay more than 1/2 of retail for the stuff off CL and FB. You can also buy a tool with batt and charger off CL or FB and then sell the tool and or charger and end up with the batt fairly cheaply. I have done this. No warranty but if you end up with the batt for $20 or so you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I bought a Chinese 12v NiCad for my 20+ year old Milwaukee 3/8" impact and it has held up fine. I also made an adaptor to let me use my 20V B&D lithiums with these tools. A buddy gifted me a couple of the matching drills many years ago when his company upgraded.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
rayjay, already knew that, but thanks.
I have nothing to do with FB. Craigslist away from major cities is a farce. It's over 100 miles to a city with over 75K population in any direction where I am.

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
Anecdotally I have not had good luck with after-market batteries for anything. They are a bump in performance at first (compared to the outgoing OEM battery), but capacity and performance falls off rapidly vs. OEM. This has applied to power tools, laptop, and hobby 3S/4S lipo batteries. All were mid tier where available.

Nice to find another Ryobi guy!
If you can live with 3AH batteries, HD has a sale where you get two 3AH +HP with charger and big soft case and a bare tool valued under $80 for free (the 6.5" saw is one of these). Also the 4Ah 2 pack is selling for $30 more than the generic you posted right now.
Since the sale started, I have renewed my collection of ~6 1.5 and 2.0Ah with two 4Ah and four 3 Ah. The 3 or 4Ah perform the same in my circ saw (the little 5.25" blade) The old 2.0Ah batts could not hold a candle, even when new. I'll make sure to keep these in the heated basement over the winter to prolong their life.

I see the 7.25" saw is brushless. You will definitely want to stick with Ryobi Lithium+HP which works directly with the brushless tools. I do not have any but they are supposed to be powerhouses. Good Luck!

·
never too old to learn
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, all, for your input :eek:) I’m either going to go mid-range aftermarket (watching the * ratings as I do) or stay with OEM. As these would be occasional use I’m thinking the Ryobis will do better.

Anecdotally I have not had good luck with after-market batteries for anything. They are a bump in performance at first (compared to the outgoing OEM battery), but capacity and performance falls off rapidly vs. OEM. This has applied to power tools, laptop, and hobby 3S/4S lipo batteries. All were mid tier where available.

If you can live with 3AH batteries, HD has a sale where you get two 3AH +HP with charger and big soft case and a bare tool valued under $80 for free (the 6.5" saw is one of these). Also the 4Ah 2 pack is selling for $30 more than the generic you posted right now.
Since the sale started, I have renewed my collection of ~6 1.5 and 2.0Ah with two 4Ah and four 3 Ah. The 3 or 4Ah perform the same in my circ saw (the little 5.25" blade) The old 2.0Ah batts could not hold a candle, even when new. I'll make sure to keep these in the heated basement over the winter to prolong their life.

I see the 7.25" saw is brushless. You will definitely want to stick with Ryobi Lithium+HP which works directly with the brushless tools. I do not have any but they are supposed to be powerhouses. Good Luck!
Thanks for the HD links- I like Ryobi and have a nice corded drill from HD from ten or more years ago. I purchased my cordless drill/driver pair there last year complete with the bag, charger, and two batteries. My outlets aren’t always near where I need power tools, and at the time I was considering a shed project with more screws than I wanted to drive by hand. The jigsaw was a whim, but the circular saw seems more practical.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have also found aftermarket to be inferior but they are often a lot cheaper so may be worth it, may not be.

In the past with cell phone batteries I found them to be better...but mainly because the oem was like 1500 mAh and aftermarket was 2200. So it gave me MUCH better performance even though they probably fibbed a little.
Aftermarket dewalt etc batteries are much better than your old worn out ones but not nearly as good as new dewalt.
You can get good Japanese replacement cells and rebuild old and that will be probably as good as oem.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,350 Posts

THe link just goes to batteries set/charger. How do you get the bare tool free? THanks

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
THe link just goes to batteries set/charger. How do you get the bare tool free? THanks
That deal ran from about June 6th till June 20th. I found it on slickdeals.com. You can set up alerts based on keywords. I had a ryobi alert since I know my batteries were about gone. Now, $300 later I've got 6 new 3 or 4ah batts and and 2 tools (well, one is the boombox which is pretty sweet).

Photos of the boombox up at our camp, and obligatory one of Ryobi imapct and the L8 after cutting 14" of camp "grass".

Attachments

·
never too old to learn
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice to find another Ryobi guy! ...

Instead of the saw I ended up getting their P2810 Chemical Sprayer for the garden. I actually ordered the P2800A without battery and charger, but I had to return it because it arrived damaged, and Home Depot gave me the kit at no extra cost! What a great tool this is for applying fungicide to my plants (my hands ached from trying to use those 32oz spray bottles before). I’ll probably use it for Sevin as well.

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
Instead of the saw I ended up getting their P2810 Chemical Sprayer for the garden. I actually ordered the P2800A without battery and charger, but I had to return it because it arrived damaged, and Home Depot gave me the kit at no extra cost! What a great tool this is for applying fungicide to my plants (my hands ached from trying to use those 32oz spray bottles before). I’ll probably use it for Sevin as well.
Nice, always good to keep the digits working as long as possible. I feel the same would apply to a battery powered caulk gun.

·
never too old to learn
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice, always good to keep the digits working as long as possible. I feel the same would apply to a battery powered caulk gun.
I didn't know that Ryobi made one of those! I do not do enough caulking to warrant buying one, though...

I've developed 'tigger finger' in both hands this year (I should say it has just become more inconvenient than in the past). The sprayer, impact driver, and drill driver make projects easier to work on. And having the one-battery-fits-all is really nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts