My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd toss this out to the group and see what some valuation opinions are. Since this machine is being sold by a business, I know I'm not going to get the "deal of the century."

5865 16Hp walk-behind w/725 hours (late 80's), in overall good to very good cosmetic and mechanical condition. Sold with a 38" quick hitch blower in good working condition (some internal surface rust) and a 30" long-nose, clamshell brush hog.

Can't add any pictures at the moment, as my desktop unit fried. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
You don't see a tractor like that come up for sale too often, I should think it would be $1500 plus depending on location. Ed

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I stopped back by the place today and monkeyed around with the machine for a bit longer.

The Hobbs meter is actually functioning - 1st time I've ran across one that seems to accurately depict the number of hours on a machine (looks like there might be some key hours in play).

The tractor moves forward/rev in low range as it should - there's some play in the both the for-rev and brake linkage, but no unusual noises. I'm concerned that the tractor doesn't want to positively shift into high range - I've gently rocked the for-rev lever and made sure that the brake linkage is out of the way, but I'm not getting positive gear engagement.

Given that the tractor's probably spent its entire life in low range - with only a brush hog and blower as attachments - maybe this is just an issue of continuing to manipulate the swiftamatic assembly until the apparatus functions more smoothly. The tractor also seems more reluctant to move with authority in reverse than when going forward.

Anyone have some thoughts on some additional swiftamatic and clutch checks that I can perform on site??

(Also grabbed some ID numbers: S/N: 00592734, Model: 43008).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yup! Same as AJ. I can almost guarantee that the machine needs a good smack to free up the shifter. I've run across that on a few junks that I've picked up and it works like a charm. Don't sweat it!

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, here's some pics of the beast that I grabbed up last fall. Used it just a few times this winter (which remains here in MI) and there's certainly a noticeable power difference between it and my 12HP machines. It sat outside for a little while from the business that was selling it on consignment - prior to that, I doubt that it ever did.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
That is one sweet unit, and even better, pre-handgrip switches. I wish it was in my budget right now (and closer, etc).

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The way I view it is it is easy to take parts off... harder to install if they were never there.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice machine. How close were we to the value? Hope you got a great deal on it. Ed

Not far off - right around $1200. The engine's sounds great at idle - and the larger blower unit's really been able to move some snow. If the forecast holds for this area, she might get a chance to do it again. :fing32:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts