My Tractor Forum banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Ejl in Pa.
240 Posts
I forgot to add, with the John Deere machines, you'll get a FAR SUPERIOR deck!
Based on the cub cadet tractors you owned I can understand your thinking of JD having far superior mower decks. The 48, 54, and 60 inch decks that came on the 3200 series of cub cadet tractors are commercial grade decks and give a great cut and were built to last. I think they would rival any JD mower deck for quality of cut and longevity.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
1 = engineering revision
K = November
01 = first day of November
9 = 1999
G = Brownsville, Tennessee plant
2 = Assembly line 2
13 = 13th machine built

So, this machine was the 13th built November 1,1999 on assembly line #2 in Brownsville, TN.

That is a good looking machine for the money. We will need pics when you get it home.
Thanks for decoding that serial number Todd, that's cool information. Much appreciated!

I think it should be very good machine, one I can own for a long time. I promise to get plenty of pictures!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Maybe go over to Patton and give them a heads up to call you if they have a 3000 plow tractor come in or one with extra spools.
Yeah I think it's definitely worth giving them a call. I wish they'd let you walk through the place because it sounds really cool.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ray's IH Parts (Ray Weaver, Stevens PA, East of Harrisburg) is also a good source of parts, and I have found his prices to be reasonable. Pretty sure he will let you walk through his place and he will not be too far off of your route if you go to Reading. He is also a VERY good source of CC info.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
Based on the cub cadet tractors you owned I can understand your thinking of JD having far superior mower decks. The 48, 54, and 60 inch decks that came on the 3200 series of cub cadet tractors are commercial grade decks and give a great cut and were built to last. I think they would rival any JD mower deck for quality of cut and longevity.
On the smaller tractors, ie the LX178 with 38" deck, the blades were so much heavier than those on the CCGT2550 and I don't recall engines on the Cubs rivaling the Kawasakis on the Deeres.

·
Ejl in Pa.
240 Posts
I forgot to add, with the John Deere machines, you'll get a FAR SUPERIOR deck!
On the smaller tractors, ie the LX178 with 38" deck, the blades were so much heavier than those on the CCGT2550 and I don't recall engines on the Cubs rivaling the Kawasakis on the Deeres.
The cub cadet 3205 and 3208 both came with the liquid cooled 20 hp Kawasaki engine. If you don't like cub cadets what brings you to the CC forum other than being argumentative.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts

The cub cadet 3205 and 3208 both came with the liquid cooled 20 hp Kawasaki engine. If you don't like cub cadets what brings you to the CC forum other than being argumentative.
Many things about the Cub Cadets, I did like. What I was pointing out were reasons to consider the Deere over the Cub. These are my opinions. Yes, I do enjoy a good argument and I don't fault you for calling attention to that. I spent many hours on this forum while owning two and three Cubs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Many things about the Cub Cadets, I did like. What I was pointing out were reasons to consider the Deere over the Cub. These are my opinions. Yes, I do enjoy a good argument and I don't fault you for calling attention to that. I spent many hours on this forum while owning two and three Cubs.
Some Cub Cadets are vastly superior to other Cub Cadets.
The Cheap CCs are just that, CHEAP. At the time, the 3000 Series was the top of the line CC for homeowner use.
I'm pretty sure the 2500 series (I never owned a 2500 series) used 44" and 50" decks that were similar to what could be purchased with later versions of the 3000 series. Most(perhaps all) 3000 series were sold as a Tractor with the deck sold separately. The 48", 54" or 60" decks cost more than the 44" and 50" decks and some people tried to save money by buying them, but IMO the 48", 54" and 60" decks are much better and worth the extra cost.

I would not be surprised to find that the JD mower decks are better quality than the 44/50" Cub Decks, but I would be surprised if they were significantly better than a 48/54/60" CC 3000 series deck.

Are the run of the mill JD mower decks shaft driven? If not, I consider that to be a significant advantage of the CC 3000 series decks.

·
Ejl in Pa.
240 Posts
I think the CC 3235 the OP is looking to buy is a tractor very comparable to your JD 445. The only difference I see and see often is the JD is over priced. I just did a search on facebook marketplace and wasn't able to find a JD 445 in as good of shape as the one the OP is buying anywhere near the price he is paying. I guess if you like green/yellow you need to be ready to overpay for a nearly 20 year old tractor.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Ray's IH Parts (Ray Weaver, Stevens PA, East of Harrisburg) is also a good source of parts, and I have found his prices to be reasonable. Pretty sure he will let you walk through his place and he will not be too far off of your route if you go to Reading. He is also a VERY good source of CC info.
Thanks for the lead Joel, maybe I will stop if I have time to check it out when I pick up the tractor. If not I'll make a day trip out of it sometime.

I don't recall engines on the Cubs rivaling the Kawasakis on the Deeres.
My very basic 1525 has a Kawasaki.

I did consider JDs. ejl6658 explained the reasons I chose a Cub very well in his above post.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far. To address some of the things brought up-

As for having the Cub dealer go over my 1525, it's just not worth it. To be "right" again, it would need a new or rebuilt hydro, the deck should be replaced, and the engine should probably get new rings and gaskets. And that still doesn't address the issue of rust on the tractor itself and the fact that it's just a very basic lawn tractor. And even if I were to try and rehab it, I would do the work myself. It's just not worth the time, money or effort for a run of the mill basic lawn tractor. At the time it was new it was pretty much comparable to an L100 series Deere with a v-twin. It seems to have outlasted most of those.

The Simplicity's that were brought up do seem like a pretty fair option, although they are still belt driven and the only available decks are relatively massive. Also I would have to guess they don't get the same aftermarket support and parts availability that Deere and Cub Cadet enjoy.

Green paint isn't a necessity, as I previously said I'm really not brand loyal to anything but Deere and Cub Cadet have the best dealer networks around me.

Fortunately Pennsylvania does seem to be a bit of a goldmine for finding used tractors, but I am willing to travel 4 or 5 hours for the right machine. I don't mind driving.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so I don't mind buying something that needs a little work, but I am not looking for a project.

If I were to go for a newish tractor, I'm leaning toward the X500 series despite the added cost. I think over time they will prove to be more reliable than the XT3s from Cub Cadet. I love the 318s and man would I like to have one around, but the age and typical hours make me a little nervous. Still I think the Cub Cadet 3000 series is a lot of bang for the buck. Just check these out-

Rehabbed 3185 with snowblower and 54" deck for $2000-

3205 with only 424 hours for $1300-

3204 with 500 hours, deck and snowblower for $2500-

Joe you should move this post to the Cub forum and I'll guarantee you'll get a bunch of replies on the 3000 series and other shaft drives. I don't want to dive into it since this is in the JD forum out of respect to the green guys. Lots of great green GTs were built. 318 and 4xx series are awesome GTs.
The above interaction happened between Joe and I in his thread in the JD forum. I felt it was rude for me to start talking up the Cubs in the JD forum and even sent him a PM asking him to start a thread over here. I feel like the above is the civil and respectful way to do this and would appreciate if others felt the same.
The JD forum thread is this way--> (Long Post Warning) Time To Replace My Lawn Tractor is Nearing

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I don't mind if someone wants to compare and contrast different brands' features and prices and attachments etc. I mean, we have to be able to do that somewhere and the backyard round table section doesn't get as much traffic as the brand specific forums.

But blatantly stating that one machine or one brand of machine is better or worse than another is ridiculous. All machines are going to have advantages and disadvantages and the requirements, needs, budget and location of the owner is a large part of that. Something that is an advantage for you may actually be a disadvantage for me.

I looked into Simplicity, Kubota, John Deere, Cub Cadet and Toro/Wheel Horse. I picked what suited me best based on my priorities.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
I haven't dealt with him but found this email where you can ask about parts availability. [email protected]

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I was at Home Depot today and measured this 5 x 8 trailer at home depot and its a true inside measure. It rents for $27 for 4 hours or $39 for 8 hours. With a $100 deposit.

View attachment 2442857
Don, thanks for the measurement. I checked my local Home Depot and they have one in stock as does the next closest store. The price is basically the same as the U-Haul 6'x12' but the weight is the big advantage.

According to the information I've found a Cub Cadet 3235 weighs 803 lbs and a model 290 54" deck weighs 268 lbs for a total tractor weight of 1,071 lbs.

The U-Haul 6'x12' weighs 2,290 lbs. The Home Depot trailer weighs 850 lbs. That's a huge difference. Especially when you consider that my 2015 Subaru Outback tow vehicle has a towing capacity of 2,700 lbs. So the U-Haul with the tractor would put it 661 pounds over it's tow capacity. With the Home Depot trailer the weight would be well below the 2,700 lb limit at 1,921 lbs. My trailer hitch is rated for 4,000 lbs trailer weight and 600 lbs tongue weight so it is more than capable of handling the loaded trailer.

The Home Depot trailer actually has a higher payload capacity too, 2,140 lbs vs U-Haul's 2,110 lbs. Both are well over what the tractor actually weighs, but I'm not losing any payload capacity by going with the smaller HD trailer.

So it will be a bit of a tighter squeeze, but there should still be 1.5" to spare on either side. From a safety standpoint I think the Home Depot trailer is the only way to go.

Assuming the forecast doesn't change dramatically, I'm planning on going Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Assuming the forecast doesn't change dramatically, I'm planning on going Monday.
Git Sum! You'll have to get your tattoo like the rest of us have "Cub 3000, death (to grass) from above!"

181 - 200 of 225 Posts