My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have 2 Tecumsehs. An HH100 from a Sears and a HH140 ohv design from a Bolens. Both the cast iron block engines. Aside from the obvious hp difference, if I were going to spend the money and rebuild one, is one design better than the other? Or should I just say forget it sell them both and repower with a Honda knock off? I don't care about historical accuracy, I just want a hard working machine, this engine would be in a Bolens tube frame.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The OHV has more power but also more moving parts. Some of the old OHV Tecumseh engines had a gear balance system. You can tell by, it has a thicker engine side cover on the pto side. (my sears has the OH160 with the balance gears.)

I have heard the oh140 is the same bore as the hh100. Not sure if that is true, never looked in to it.

I have both hh and oh cast tecumsehs and while the hh run great I like the oh better. More power, hohoho.

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, smallfry. I have heard so many things about the Tec parts being expensive. I know some folks love em while others curse em. Then you hear good and bad about the clones. Maybe I will sell the HH100 and rebuild the OH140.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know you got you HH vs OH question answered, and I'm certainly not expert on them myself... I guess it depends on you abilities which you choose to persue.

My H-16 has for the last few years been growing worse and worse at burning oil, so last May I took the tractor in to have the engine completely redone. New piston, rings, the works. After 30 years the crank was still was true, only requiring .010 to clean it up. Not the kind of job I could ever consider doing myself, but one that needed to be done. Whether the cost of a rebuild or the cost of a re-power is really up to you, but the reason I boght my Bolens in the first place was because of the strong power plants that these Tec's were. I never considered a repower. Obviously the tractor is now working better than it has in years.... after bringing it home last year I inadvertenly pulled a wheelie with it while shuffling it around in the garage! Way more guts....

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
My suburban with the OH160 pops wheelies all the time. Don't know if that helps you decide.

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
OK, I have 2 Tecumsehs. An HH100 from a Sears and a HH140 ohv design from a Bolens. Both the cast iron block engines. Aside from the obvious hp difference, if I were going to spend the money and rebuild one, is one design better than the other? Or should I just say forget it sell them both and repower with a Honda knock off? I don't care about historical accuracy, I just want a hard working machine, this engine would be in a Bolens tube frame.
Does the OH140 run? If youn still have it I might have a buyer. Have a friend that has a Bolens G14XL and is showing that engine as OEM...Let me know...:thThumbsU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts