My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a laptop and just waiting for the right deal. Found a "Lenovo 28479UU ThinkPad Notebook", refurbished from MWave for $295 but alas, "unavailible"..(why companies advertise products they do not have is beyond me).

Anyway, I always like the look and feel of the Lenovo's I have seen in stores.
I really like the "pointing stick" feature.

This SL510 has the features I want and for $300 I would give it a shot if it becomes available again.

Just wondering what others might think about this brand.

THX :pcwiz:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I think they are better than the competition, and that comes from my experience with thousands of them.. I've dealt with HP, Dell and Lenovo on a large Enterprise scale, and you get what you pay for (and new Lenovo's are typically a lot more pricey than the competition, but it's a better business class machine.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I've been using thinkpads for years, pre-lenovo and current. I got my wife an ideapad for Christmas and for a media based laptop it's been great. My only gripe was it was supposed to have Win 7 and shipped with Vista. A lengthy phone call fixed that.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
love mine no problems yet and its 3 years old

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. They just seem like a solid machine compared to alot of others. I also started researching Fujitsu.....wow...do they have golden heatsinks and diamond cpu's in them?..

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,712 Posts
My wife has a Lenovo S10 netbook. I use it now and then. We have had a lot of computers and I can say that the Lenovo is the best of the bunch. We never have a problem with it and we take it everywhere. :thThumbsU

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Been using IBM/Lenovo products for years with wonderful and satisfying results. I like and own a Lenovo laptop now but I think the quality of the Lenovo products have declined some when Lenovo bought out IBM....IBM was a WV product now Lenovo is a Chinese product...be forewarned.

·
6,553 Posts
I saw no worsening of the product when Lenovo took over the operations. We had many Lenovo manufactured T41's and up, in our Enterprise before we refreshed to Dell. The Lenovo's were rock solid. And on an Enterprise level, IBM and Lenovo were both able to do things for us that Dell said they couldn't do, like delivering Serial Numbers and MAC addresses for all the orders, before they shipped, which grossly simplified adding MAC's to our ACS Database meaning when the machines arrived and were imaged, they connected straight away to wireless. With Dell we the technicians had to manually enter each and every machine, tiresome at best.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
i have always had thinkpads, i think ive had 5 total over the years. I always thought IBM made the best laptop out there. I got a vista thinkpad X61 a few years back, and it was a dog. I cant say for sure if it was vista or the laptop, but it would lock up, freeze up, pregnant pause me to death, id lose my wireless all the time and have to connect, then disconnect to get it back.. it was a piece of crapola...

i finally got my first HP and am very happy with it. Before that i'd always had IBMs then lenovo's -. After the last one, im done with Lenovo.

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
I've had the opportunity to test the Lenovo's, HP's, Compaq (glorified HP), Acer, Gateway (now owned by Acer), Dell, and Sony laptops. Sticking with Dell but like Sony and Lenovo quality, just don't want to see profit going outside the USA!

·
6,553 Posts
That chart can't possibly be correct... I've dealt with a lot of fried Toshiba's they have had tons of power adapter and charging circuit problems (same with HP).

The biggest failure we've had with our Dell's is Batteries and Hard Drives which both are to be expected since these units are truly use mobile and that is hard on the hard drive, and we haven't done a refresh in going on 5 years now.

We didn't think the Dell's would hold up as good as they have.. Our previous refresh schedule was 3 years for Laptops.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't know about Lenovo, but I bought a used, beat to crap, Dell D600 on Ebay. Man this thing looked like it had been drug behind my speedex for a few laps around the yard. And I'll be ****, that sucker came right on. I've since added RAM and a bigger hard drive, but that 2003 laptop is even capable of running Windows 7, and it does!!! The drivers on Dell's website are for XP, but run in XP compatibility mode, they install PERFECTLY! Nothing on that old laptop doesn't work! And it has a **** of a wifi range, I had 4 bars out of 5 about 400 feet from the router inside at the same height I was!!! I was so far away someone asked me what I was doing with my laptop way out in the cane field! That is one **** tough machine.

I'm repairing a Toshiba that had the Nvidia graphics chip overheat. I managed to resolder the chip back onto the board per a video on youtube. It worked too.

I'm not happy with Compaq laptops because one that is years newer than mine can't run Win 7 because of driver issues, yet my old Dell works fine. It even came with a good battery. The best 200 bucks (total, laptap and all upgrades) I ever spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lenovo is great for its price range in my opinion! Me and my bro both own a Lenovo. Still, it really depends on what you really want with your gear. If you want a cheap machine that you can bring around in social gatherings to show off pics and vids then Lenovo is OK. If you want something for work I suggest you get something better. But if you are into heavy gaming (STARCRAFT 2 ANYONE?!) do get an Alienware. MSI can also be a cheap gaming gear alternative if you want to :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts