My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
For the best answer on your individual lawn care needs you can check with your local Ag. extension office to see what works best in your area.
Then I would contact c5rulz to see how he would apply there advice professionally and practically.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
115 Posts
Using this tool would take me 4 weeks to complete the task..... just because the size of my yard....
Haha! Yes, same here. My back yard has WAY too many weeds to do manually right now. Back yard is about an acre, front yard is about 1/2 acre. The front is pretty well under control now, so I can do the manual thing, a few weeds at a time. The back yard is getting treated at the moment. The goal is that, in a year or two, I can do the back yard manually a few weeds at a time. I have the rear bucket attachment on the LA, so I would keep the weeder with me and just stop to pluck them as I'm mowing. If I can get the weeds under control, that is.

How much property do you have?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live in Utah and have a Kentucky/Rye lawn. I never bag my grass clippings unless the grass gets too tall in the spring due to rain and sits in clumps on top of the grass. Besides that I always mulch. Last year I decided to purchase de-thatcher from JD for my X738 and also got the extensions. I ended up returning the extensions and believe the de-thatcher is wide enough without them as I make multiple passes over the same area. I de-thatched for the first time last fall and removed a lot of dead grass that you really couldn't tell was there just looking at the lawn. Probably an amount similar the picture of the grass on the trailer above. This spring I de-thatched the first week of April. I completely filled a garbage bin with just the grass from the front yard. Most of this was not thatch but just the dead grass from the winter. I believe it has helped my lawn green up much faster this spring then previous years. I also worked my back yard over and ended up with several bare patches of dirt after all was finished. I have reseeded and am now waiting for grass to grow. Point is you can overwork the yard.
I built a frame for mine and attached it to the quick hitch so I can control it with the hydraulics. I spent a few hours over two days building it. I believe the de-thatcher is worth it to help clean up my yard and only expect to use it twice a year, Spring and Fall. However it also can be used as a rake just don't put it down all the way.
C1D5D510-215B-4A9D-9E71-7975588F58BA.jpeg
image.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth. Don't dethatch your lawn in early spring as you will destroy new grass that is getting established. Wait until the second or third mowing of the season, then dethatch and then add fertilizer, personally I use a 10-10-10 in the spring (April-May) and use a higher nitrogen content in (June-July). This works well for me in the upper Midwest but to each there own. I also use a core aerator both in the spring and again in the fall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

41 - 45 of 45 Posts