My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need your opinions on something, I want to fill my 23x10.50 with some fluid for weight but here is my question I only want to do this so I dont have to mess with wheel weight brackets I have(bolt on the rim and you use dumbbell weights) and I dont have wheel weights to use. But the only time I ever need weight on the tractor is the winter time, I do mow with it but I have no hills and I live in town so I dont do much work with it other than hauling around a wagon. So seeing as I only need it for winter do you think that would justify filling the tires or should I just keep using the wheel brackets? I should tell you that there are a pain to put on and take off because of the brakes(cub 1862) the bolts are hard to get too and the one thing I dont like is they stick out from the tire and I forget how far they stick out and hit stuff with them or when the tractor is in the garage they are just the right height off the ground to be shin busters(I have hit them a couple times) so opinions please

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Ok guys I need your opinions on something, I want to fill my 23x10.50 with some fluid for weight but here is my question I only want to do this so I dont have to mess with wheel weight brackets I have(bolt on the rim and you use dumbbell weights) and I dont have wheel weights to use. But the only time I ever need weight on the tractor is the winter time, I do mow with it but I have no hills and I live in town so I dont do much work with it other than hauling around a wagon. So seeing as I only need it for winter do you think that would justify filling the tires or should I just keep using the wheel brackets? I should tell you that there are a pain to put on and take off because of the brakes(cub 1862) the bolts are hard to get too and the one thing I dont like is they stick out from the tire and I forget how far they stick out and hit stuff with them or when the tractor is in the garage they are just the right height off the ground to be shin busters(I have hit them a couple times) so opinions please
Just a note on the bolts...anytime a bolt is going to become a PITA use a pin if you can.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I didn't like the idea of wheel weights, so I found a spot to bolt the weight to the frame.

DSC_0018640x426.jpg

No busted shins or tires you can not take off for me.

DSC_0028640x314.jpg

·
MTF & OCC Poster
57 Posts
Very creative! I have the same issues with my cub cadet 1440 when I put the blade on for winter plowing.
Gonna take a look to see how much room I have.....

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
How about suitcase weights on the rear.

You can use trailer U blots to hold them on the rear of your tractor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fill the tires and forget about it. Adding weights to the tractor that are not on the wheel puts extra load on your axle seals and bearings. Putting it on the wheel (or inside the tire) avoids that.

·
22,351 Posts
Get RimGuard pumped into the tires and call it done. That will give you more weight than antifreeze and not enough weight to worry about in the summer time. Add chains if more traction is needed in the winter.

Chains and loaded tires constitute free and invisible weight. Free because they do not add a load to the rear axle, like plates and suitcase weights, and invisible because they do not add appreciably to the tractors shape, no barked shins.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the ideas guy traction was never a problem with the ags. and I was told I was not allowed to use chains on our new sidewalk that the city put in but we had to pay for it, the guy down the street has chains and he plowed the sidewalk one day and marked up the sidewalk and I got yelled at for it but I explained and showed my mother and all was forgiven.
so what should I fill the tires with so they dont freeze? I know antifreeze but I have seen that stuff freeze before do you add water to it also?

·
22,351 Posts
RimGuard. No water. Much heavier than antifreeze. Dealer only and get them to pump it in, not pour through the bead. About $3 - $4 per gallon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts