My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman GT6000, 917.255980, 18hp kohler, electric clutch quit working. Switch seem fine. With the engine running, I unplugged and removed the OPR, the engine kept running, and then I flipped the PTO switch, and it engaged properly.

Does this confirm that the OPR is bad and should be replaced?
Is there a problem with running the tractor with the OPR removed?

Electrical issues get my head spinning....

I'm using the grass and leaf catcher attachment to clean up the leaves in the yard, and since the baskets fill up quickly, I am switching the PTO on and off pretty frequently, like every couple of minutes. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
On your specific tractor, the OPR doesn't have anything to do with the electric clutch operating.

Your clutch wiring goes like this-
From the "L" terminal of the key switch (L is "hot" when the key is in the ON position), current flows through the PTO switch (B on the "key" side & A on the PTO side) and to the clutch itself.

Check to see if you are getting 12V to the clutch (when you should) and that the ground for the clutch is intact. (Clean connectors on the Key switch, PTO switch and clutch.

The OPR is used in the engine kill circuit when the PTO is engaged.
IF you aren't in the seat (which OPENS the seat switch) when engaged, the OPR completes the ground to the engine kill wire and thus kills the engine. (M terminal of key switch)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bill.
I got it working again. I think I might have a short down near the PTO clutch. I suspect it may eventually short out again, but for now, it's working as it should. I thank you for your help, which taught me a lot.
But what is a cirumflatulator? It doesn't sound like a very flattering title. ??

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Hmmmm - sounds like he farts around…yes?

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
I have the connector for the OPR, but it is not present / Installed. I would check the PTO Main power wire, and the PTO Ground. Make sure there is a "star" washer on the ground wire to the frame.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts