My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
I'm surprised that there as many different manuals out there to download for free for various brands of tractors, just because of the state of copyright laws int he US and the litigious nature of corporations these days.

The US congress keeps extending copyright expiration to the point where it is absolutely ridiculous. Anything published by an individual after 1978 is protected for the life of the original author, plus 70 more years. Things like manuals are protected up to 120 years from the date of publication, so selling or giving away copies that you made without the permission of the copyright holder is a violation. Only the original manual (not a copy) can be given or sold without penalties, as you were given that with the machine when you purchased it from the manufacturer and you then own that copy, and you can do whatever you wish with that one copy. But you cannot make additional copies unless permission is given by the copyright holder.

Add to that the penalties that can be handed down are stupendous, up to $150,000.00 per violation, which means that if you sell, or even give away, 10 copies of a manual you could be liable for up to $1.5 million.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, does anyone have a spare operator manual for a 770? So I may purchase?

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts