My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
robrike
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever drill the proper .10 inch hole in the disc that got the wrong .055 size in theirs from the factory? I was going over my carb last night and enlarging pilot jet and decided to check the throttle disc and it was the undersized one. My local shop had to order it and that is 7 to 10 days.

Should I just reassemble as is and see how it runs or drill it out? I did go ahead and order the proper one for 93 cents. :)

Thanks,
Rob

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
I would just drill it. I mean what do you have to lose?

·
robrike
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FordTech. i was thinking the same thing, especially since a new one is on the way. It is inches and not cm, right? I opened the pilot and main jet some and it actually runs quite well presently. Does use a little more gas and there is some smoke when running the first 10 min after starting it but it clears up once at full operating temp.

Thanks again,
Rob

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I never drilled them, I bought a few and replaced the ones I've had so far that were too small. If I remember right, my 03' 10324 had the smaller hole in the t-plate and my 00' 525 was okay. Haven't checked my 03' 22260 as it's still in the box.

·
robrike
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Echoman.
I did order a new one and just went ahead and rejetted by carb on the pilot and main by one drill size each. Cannot remember the numbers but when the plate comes in and I have it apart again I will probably open the pilot another size up. I double checked and recheked the float level at 1/2 inch but I still have the annoying decrease in rpm's when the mower is going across a hill sloped with the the left side of mower low and right side high. Go the opposite to right side low and left side high and the rpm's go up. They also go down and up some when stopping and the fuel sloshes forward. Has to be a float thing I would assume but cannot figure out how or why. Even went by that excellent write up added not so long ago to double check my pieces and placements. :thThumbsU

Mower runs fine now with jets adjusted, a tiny bit rich till it runs 10 minutes or so. I am assuming the larger hole in the throttle plate will allow more air past which if that is a correct assumption should decrease the richness of the fuel/air mixture. However, if that is the fix to much of the surging it goes against the whole lean causing surging thing. That one has me stumped because I know they are running really lean as is. If anyone can explain the theory behind it I am all ears.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Rob

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
Hey Echoman.
I did order a new one and just went ahead and rejetted by carb on the pilot and main by one drill size each. Cannot remember the numbers but when the plate comes in and I have it apart again I will probably open the pilot another size up. I double checked and recheked the float level at 1/2 inch but I still have the annoying decrease in rpm's when the mower is going across a hill sloped with the the left side of mower low and right side high. Go the opposite to right side low and left side high and the rpm's go up. They also go down and up some when stopping and the fuel sloshes forward. Has to be a float thing I would assume but cannot figure out how or why. Even went by that excellent write up added not so long ago to double check my pieces and placements. :thThumbsU

Mower runs fine now with jets adjusted, a tiny bit rich till it runs 10 minutes or so.
I am assuming the larger hole in the throttle plate will allow more air past which if that is a correct assumption should decrease the richness of the fuel/air mixture. However, if that is the fix to much of the surging it goes against the whole lean causing surging thing. That one has me stumped because I know they are running really lean as is. If anyone can explain the theory behind it I am all ears.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Rob
Yeah...That is my thought exactly. I have been hesitant in ordering/drilling my throttle plate for exactly this reasoning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I say drill it, I've owned at least twenty Duraforce lawn boys and I had never heard on the throttle disc thing until I started browsing the forums here. Is there a specific year/model where they came with the smaller hole? I've had great success with just cleaning the carb (soaking jets overnight) and then enlarging the pilot jet one size larger. I may have never owned one with the smaller throttle disc though I'm not sure. I don't really believe in the warped carburetor theory either so take my response with a grain of salt.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Believe the disc problem was with the 01' model years. Been awhile since I last dug into it. If you search the topic, i believe I have posted more about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts